too much smoke from exhast pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much smoke from exhast pipe

ok, i got a 1999 F-150 V-6 4.2L

I just bought a re-manufactured engine, and put everything new on it basically
everything is new except for the intake manifold, covers, and tensioner/ other belt wheels

i installed the engine. put the wires in the right spots, same with the hoses, and i just replaced the main heater core under the dashboard.
Today i started it, and there was too much smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. It also sounded like it wasn't working right, so i took off the spark plug cables off the coil, and when i removed the one on the left side middle, the engine didn't seem to changing noise or vibrations of any kind. I removed the spark plug, and installed a new one, noticing that the old one was wet.

I thought the spark plug was dead, but after installing a new one, i had the same results as before. I checked the exhaust pipe and there was a yellow thick fluid, which i have come across when i took apart my old engine. This must mean that my engine is using up antifreez fluid, and not letting that specific cylinder work right. I immedeattly turned the truck off, and realized what the problem was.

I think the problem was because of the intake mainfold. It was either cracked, and i didnt see it when i installed it, or it was the paint on the block heads, which was there when i bought the engine. That is my theory of what is going on. If anyone knows what the problem is, please tell me ASAP.
BTW THE SMOKE IS NOT TOO MUCH, JUST MODERATE. AND THERE IS NO KNOCK IN THE ENGINE

Old 03-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

It's possible that you tore the lower intake gasket on the drivers side and now its letting coolant enter the cylinder!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
It's possible that you tore the lower intake gasket on the drivers side and now its letting coolant enter the cylinder!
Good call.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok
it is not the leak with the coolant
it happened to me last time
this is a whole new engine, everything is almost replaced
so the #2 cylinder was not working, and there was no gas in it when we took out the spark plug
so, we took off the wire off of the fuel injector on that same cylinder, and it didnt change sound of engine.
i tested the injector, it works. Ive traced the problem to the injector wire.
i am having someone come and check it out.
hopefully that will be easy to fix

Quick Reply: too much smoke from exhast pipe