Ticking noice only when cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticking noice only when cold

When my truck is cold it has a ticking noice when I bring the engine off idle. Like at 1100rpm. It doesn't do it when idleing and and at about 1500rpm its gone. It also stops doing it when the truck has be driven for a few minutes or fully warmed up. It does it mostly when I take off in first gear from a stop. Ive narrowed it down to the engine since it does it when the tranny is in neutral or in gear and taking off. Is it just my valves/cam/lifters being cold or is there a possible problem?

I have a 2006 f150, 4.2, and a 5 speed manual. The truck has just over 14,000 miles on it.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It may be a exhaust leak which closes up when it expands due to heat. I would get it to the dealer being that you are under warranty.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I had the same problem with my 01. Check your engine hoist brackets that the factory uses to lower the engine into the engine bay. They are located on each side of the motor next to the exhaust manifolds. My passenger's side bracket was rattling up against the exhaust manifold. The brackets are held on by a nut (1/2") I think. You can either take the brackets off, or just bend them outwards away from the manifolds to stop them from rattling. Hope that helps.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I've narrowed it down to prety much under the truck. I think it might be the tranny. It seems to do it until the tranny is warmed up and not just the engine, and it does it when I lightly let the clutch out and give it light throttle. The sound is more like a rattle/knock, and it only does it right when the engine rpms go up a little it starts at about 1100rpm and at about 1200rpm the sound is gone. It only does it when I give it just barely any throttle. I checked the engine hoist mounts and they are secure, and it doesn't seem to be a exhaust leak since it only does it at a certain rpm with light throttle.

Im going to call my dealer and take it on my next day off. Any other thoughts of what it might be?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Except for the part where it seems to be coming from the bottom of the truck, it sounds like it could be noisy fuel injectors.

My truck used to do it, and if you search you will see others have had the same noise. If it is noisy injectors, there are usually no ill effects - it just makes the ticking/clicking sound at low rpm when cold.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
i had a similar problem, i would have a rattle/noise in the gas pedal and when i hit the brakes but it went away after a couple months

Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Ditto with what Peacemaker said. It's pretty interesting - any issues that were going on with his truck seemed to either pre- or post- date any issues that I had with mine (02 extended cab)

Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Peacemaker - is your 01 gone?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I tryied it with the hood open and with it closed and the sound is mostly coming from under the truck. I also noticed that it does it when the truck is in gear and Im going slow with my foot just barely on the gas. Like first gear at 1000rpm's or second gear at 1000-1100 rpms. Then if I give it more gas to accelerate then it stops. It seems to only do it when there is a light load on the truck, like taking off slowly or going slow in a gear, but it won't do it under normal (higher rpm) acceleration.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
lol mine did the same thing, but my problem was that i had a header bolt loose. i also have noisey injectors that don't help.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey STX - I just thought about something. My 06 Fusion was having this issue when it was newer where I had this rattling sound occur under my hood and the dealer couldn't HEAR it for the longest time. Then a senior tech heard it and located it as being my throttle lines that were rubbing against a part of the firewall that was flapping a little more than it should have been. They modified it (it's actually a TSB on the Fusion) and the sound is gone. Mine also happened when it was cold but on few occasions it happened when it was already warmed up.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
My '06 has throttle by wire and no cables. Its starting to sound like a rattle now. Like there is something with a loose bolt.

Quick Reply: Ticking noice only when cold