Trouble Shifting Manual Tranny 02 4.2 V6 64k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Shifting Manual Tranny 02 4.2 V6 64k miles

Can't Shift Manual Tranny 02 4.2 V6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having trouble from when I left off the clutch into first or second.....I can shift fine as I am driving but when I stop and go to neutral then go back to first or second to start I cant........someone told me this could be a failing clutch cylinder (master or slave). It is an 02 V6 5SPD manual 64,000 miles.......anyone else have this problem or know what it could be?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:21 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
My slave cylinder blew at 59000 miles. The pedal simply went to the floor with no resistance and the clutch would not disengage. Fill up the reservoir and pump the pedal several times, look underneath for leaks coming out the bell housing. If the slave is bad, replacement requires transmission removal and you might as well do a full clutch job, the slave is integral with the throwout bearing and you probably have fluid contamination on the clutch disc.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM
5 speed V6

First post.

I have had your problem. I'm at 50K. 3.55

I have the same truck and I have had the transmission serviced 3 times, currently going on its fourth as we speak. Its had one overhaul and one master cylinder replaced. I also had the synchronizers replaced every service.

Do you have trouble at a stop trying to get into first gear? Like its stuck or something? You have to kind of shake the shifter around, right?

Thats what my problem was. I keep complaining about it to the dealer and they check it everytime because if the trucks history. It's a known issue with Ford and these trucks.

Luckily, my truck was under warranty every time so I have not had to pay anything. I also bought the extended warranty. Its pricey, but worth it because I know about the tranny issues. My truck is at Ford right now for the tranny and a complete air conditioning replacement. Go Warranty!!

I should say that the truck has never let me down and never stopped working.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Mine is still fairly new with 14,000 miles and I noticed that when Im slowing to a stop sign and almost stopped, maybe still doing 3-5mph, and go to put it in first it will feel like its popping in and a little grind in the shift ***. I don't force it either, I let it go into gear by itself. I think its probably my syncros aren't quite lined up yet. It goes in perfect when Im at a stop or just barely moving. What do you think? I hope my tranny has a good life .

Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 AM
glc
Try double clutching, stuffing it in 1st at 5 mph without giving it some gas is hard on the synchros.

With a 3.55 axle, our trucks have plenty of torque to start in 2nd gear without clutch slipping unless you are carrying a load or towing, by the way. I can get very lazy in town and use just 2nd and 4th.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by '06STX
Mine is still fairly new with 14,000 miles and I noticed that when Im slowing to a stop sign and almost stopped, maybe still doing 3-5mph, and go to put it in first it will feel like its popping in and a little grind in the shift ***. I don't force it either, I let it go into gear by itself. I think its probably my syncros aren't quite lined up yet. It goes in perfect when Im at a stop or just barely moving. What do you think? I hope my tranny has a good life .

Brake pads are cheaper than gear boxes and clutches.Unless I got a heavy load or a trailer, I seldom down shift below third when coming to a stop. I usually stay in third till about 8-10 mph and then go into neutral, I only shift into first from a full stop. I got about 146K miles from my last Ford clutch.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by RKrough
Brake pads are cheaper than gear boxes and clutches.Unless I got a heavy load or a trailer, I seldom down shift below third when coming to a stop. I usually stay in third till about 8-10 mph and then go into neutral, I only shift into first from a full stop. I got about 146K miles from my last Ford clutch.
That's what I do too... 2nd is the last resort for super heavy loads especially going down hills... but using it everytime to slow to a stop will/should decrease your friction material life. Mind you... it's like that on any stick vehicle. But with the large discs on the NBS F150's... braking should be no big deal.

In my '99, I used to shift all the way down to 2nd... but that was because it was paid off, I had lots of money, and the truck has 100k on it...

Oh to think about it... I needed a $800 dollar brake job because the original pads lasted to 100k. Yes, 100k miles. The bolts and the calipers were rusted so badly, they were surprised they even worked. Took them 2 1/2 days at a Ford dealer to do brakes on my '99. They told me that I should use my brakes more often. So either 800 on brakes or 1000 on a clutch... hmmm... not too much of a difference.

Trending Topics

Old 07-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by RKrough

I don't use it to slow down. Sometimes I put is in first right before I come to a complete stop, or close to it, so I can just start going again after I stop. I do this mostly at stop signs. If I downshift to slow down, I rarely do, I just use 3rd or 4th if Im going less than 40mph in the city.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Try double clutching, stuffing it in 1st at 5 mph without giving it some gas is hard on the synchros.

With a 3.55 axle, our trucks have plenty of torque to start in 2nd gear without clutch slipping unless you are carrying a load or towing, by the way. I can get very lazy in town and use just 2nd and 4th.
My truck can't do it that well with 32" tall tires and a 3.55. Stock tires were fine for starting in second, but now I have to do a little extra slipping with the clutch to get is going. Its just a lot easier to use first, and then I hardly need to use the clutch. Im getting shorter tires and gears one of these days .

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
glc
If you are coasting up to a stop sign and want to put it in 1st, at about 2 mph pop it in neutral, let the clutch out all the way, step on the clutch and ease it into 1st. The other option is come to a complete stop, step on the clutch, grab 2nd then 1st.

I've been driving sticks for 40 years and I learned the lost art of double clutching because a lot of cars back then had a 3 on the tree with a non-synchro 1st gear. I never seem to have the problems you guys are having because I still match RPM's when downshifting a full synchro gearbox.

I totally blew the clutch slave cylinder in my driveway last fall - I *DROVE* it across town to the garage, saved me a towing bill. Used all 5 gears and reverse too - without a clutch.

Last edited by glc; 07-19-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you are coasting up to a stop sign and want to put it in 1st, at about 2 mph pop it in neutral, let the clutch out all the way, step on the clutch and ease it into 1st. The other option is come to a complete stop, step on the clutch, grab 2nd then 1st.

I've been driving sticks for 40 years and I learned the lost art of double clutching because a lot of cars back then had a 3 on the tree with a non-synchro 1st gear. I never seem to have the problems you guys are having because I still match RPM's when downshifting a full synchro gearbox.

I totally blew the clutch slave cylinder in my driveway last fall - I *DROVE* it across town to the garage, saved me a towing bill. Used all 5 gears and reverse too - without a clutch.
Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Trouble Shifting Manual Tranny 02 4.2 V6 64k miles