need help with hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with hesitation?

I have a 1998 f-150....205000 miles..runs good except for one little thing.when i accelerate from a stop i shift from first to second without bogging engine i notice as i accelerate it seems to hesitate then quickly gains power.It does this at every gear shift...all the way to 5 (overdrive)...I would like this quick power gain to happen as soon as i shift into a gear...can anyone help please????stock 4.2l v-6 flareside 5 speed

Old 03-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ehhh change the gears....

Old 03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmijam
I have a 1998 f-150....205000 miles..runs good except for one little thing.when i accelerate from a stop i shift from first to second without bogging engine i notice as i accelerate it seems to hesitate then quickly gains power.It does this at every gear shift...all the way to 5 (overdrive)...I would like this quick power gain to happen as soon as i shift into a gear...can anyone help please????stock 4.2l v-6 flareside 5 speed
205k...

You might want to run some fuel injector cleaner in the engine and get some premium grade gas and see how it runs after that. I had that problem on my '99. Until one day I decided to let the truck run to a little less than a 1/4 tank, put 4 bottles of the STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner in it, and ran it for about 20 miles hard. It will puff black smoke and smell like a diesel, but that is the carbon and soot being burn out of the engine. After I ran it through, I then filled it up with Premium 93 Octane from a reputable Sunoco station.

Ran better than new and my mpg went way back up.

Quick Reply: need help with hesitation?