98 4.2L External Knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4.2L External Knock

I have a 98 F-150 with 105k and It is currently at the dealer where they are trying to diagnose the source of a knocking sound. The noise to me appeared to be coming from the front of the engine and belt driven and the harmonic balance was suspected but was ruled out. With the belt removed the knock was only barely preceptible but not completely gone. One of mechanics who had it up on the rack indicated that the noise is coming more from the rear of the engine. He tested for end play to try to determine if the rear thrust bearing was bad. The end play was fine but he wasn't able to accurately test for lateral play (I'm not sure how he tested). They have had the truck now for 3 days and still no diagnoses for the knock. All of the mechanics who have looked at it have said that it isn't a rod knocking but sounds more like an external noise. What else could there be. I am still waiting for them to call back with a cause.....

Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Exclamation 98 4.2L External Knock

hi i read your post and have the same problem...did you ever find the source of the knock??

thx Gill.
reply: cw143@hotmail.com
https://www.f150online.com/forums

98 4.2L External Knock
I have a 98 F-150 with 105k and It is currently at the dealer where they are trying to diagnose the source of a knocking sound. The noise to me appeared to be coming from the front of the engine and belt driven and the harmonic balance was suspected but was ruled out. With the belt removed the knock was only barely preceptible but not completely gone. One of mechanics who had it up on the rack indicated that the noise is coming more from the rear of the engine. He tested for end play to try to determine if the rear thrust bearing was bad. The end play was fine but he wasn't able to accurately test for lateral play (I'm not sure how he tested). They have had the truck now for 3 days and still no diagnoses for the knock. All of the mechanics who have looked at it have said that it isn't a rod knocking but sounds more like an external noise. What else could there be. I am still waiting for them to call back with a cause.....

Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Gill,

It turned out to be a main bearing...ugggh.. My engine had a previous lower intake gasket repair and what they (the dealer) suspected is that water got in the oil and trashed my mains. Luckily my engine didn't hydrolock. Anyhoo it cost me an engine. To pull the pan you have to pull the engine. At dealer rates it would have been 800-900 labor charge to inspect the damage. I rationalized the expense and decided to replace the engine. Labor and all for a brand new ford running assembly with 3yr/75k warranty was just under 3100. After reading all of the complaints for this very same condition from other owners you would have thought Ford would have had a recall. My understanding is that the weak intake gasket problem covered 97' and 98 models and there was a TSB issued and a no cost repair for a short period of time. I can't verify anything ford might have done, but was reported by other forum members not necessarily at this site.

Quick Reply: 98 4.2L External Knock