Intake Question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Question???

Hi everyone ,
I'm new to this web site....But I need to know , I have a 2006 f150 V6, will an aftermarket intake from a 03 V6 fit onto my 06...?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Thumbs down

I'm new too, but I'm pretty sure no. If the intakes from that model year V6 would fit on ours they would specify it. Besides, you'll get better performance waiting for the intake designed specifically for your vehicle.

If you haven't already, visit www.knfilters.com and recommend they make a FIPK for the 4.2 V6. We need to show them that the market is out there.

Good luck

Last edited by Stick06; 08-04-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stick06
I'm new too, but I'm pretty sure no. If the intakes from that model year V6 would fit on ours they would specify it. Besides, you'll get better performance waiting for the intake designed specifically for your vehicle.

If you haven't already, visit www.knfilters.com and recommend they make a FIPK for the 4.2 V6. We need to show them that the market is out there.

Good luck

I was just looking on steeda, and I see that they have an intake kit for the 2004 F150 Heritage V6. Wasn't the 04 v6 the same as the 05, 06 ones? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Nope, 04 heritage models are the same style as 97-03's. It has to be advertised as "new body style" before it'll fit.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
There are no aftermarket intake kits available as of yet for the o4-06 4.2 v-6.I was told by Everett @ AirForce0ne that an intake kit might be available in september 06.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
anyone care to offer up why it won't fit??? it's just a tube with a couple holes in it, MAF adapter, and a filter...can't see that changing with a body style change...i would say it would work.

why's no one list them? cause the trucks look different on the outside so they figure they can come up with the same product change it around a little and charge more for a "new" intake...store bought intakes are already way over priced, build your own.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by payableondeath6
anyone care to offer up why it won't fit??? it's just a tube with a couple holes in it, MAF adapter, and a filter...can't see that changing with a body style change...i would say it would work.

why's no one list them? cause the trucks look different on the outside so they figure they can come up with the same product change it around a little and charge more for a "new" intake...store bought intakes are already way over priced, build your own.
From the pics I have seen of the Air Force 1, they seem to fit pretty tight into that hood cavity . Unless the older models have the exact same space under the hood, inclusing height, depth and width of the engine compartment, then they would need a unique model to fit the same.

Of course, none of the above includes any differences with airflow or mass airflow sensor readings that may have been changed with the newer body
style.

All intakes are not built alike, and while some may feel they are simply a stainless/aluminum tube with an air filter on one end, there's actually a bit if science involved if you want the vehicle to run well, without negative impact.

CHIA

Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 AM
AirForceOne has confirmed that their CAI for the 4.2V6 should be here end of september. I'll buy it the day it comes out and I'll have pictures up the day it arrives

Old 08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Good to hear you 05+ v6 guys are starting to get some performance parts. It'll take awhile, since most aftermarket parts companies start their R&D with the v8's, then onto the v6's. Patience young grasshoppah's...

Old 08-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by CHIA
From the pics I have seen of the Air Force 1, they seem to fit pretty tight into that hood cavity . Unless the older models have the exact same space under the hood, inclusing height, depth and width of the engine compartment, then they would need a unique model to fit the same.
agreed...clearance may be an issue, but the 4.2 doesn't take up a whole lot of space in that engine bay on my 98 and the NBS look a whole lot bigger.

Of course, none of the above includes any differences with airflow or mass airflow sensor readings that may have been changed with the newer body
style.
you're still using the same sensors so the readings don't matter...now if the intake includes a MAF housing then that is calibrated, if you build your own use the stock MAF housing. airflow shouldn't change enough that the computer can't compensate with a reset.

All intakes are not built alike,
agreed, there are plastic and stainless/aluminum usually, both better than the corrugated rubber interior of the stock tube (at least on my 98 that was the case).
and while some may feel they are simply a stainless/aluminum tube with an air filter on one end, there's actually a bit if science involved if you want the vehicle to run well, without negative impact.
i agree there is a lot of science involved in the intake. like taking into account thermal properties of finishes and materials, as stated earlier the MAF housing calibration, and the length and diameter of the intake tubing...

but there's a lot things that the average joe can understand and use to get the same results as a more expensive store bought intake. i first did the poorman's intake mod with a k&n filter and noticed a little increase over stock, then i made an intake out of elbows and couplers from lowe's and 2" ID pvc pipe...cheap, yes...ghetto, yes...but i noticed a good gain with the intake and absolutely no problems at all...total price=$45 with filter...not $200

want a little nicer looking and performing intake for a little more $$ use turbo piping...nice pipe that has insulating properties already.

keep in mind these are just my $0.02, i'm a complete cheapo, same reason i would recommend this to everyone is the same reason i do all my own maintenance...i've got more time than money, and in my head i probably always will

Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Check out K&N

Old 08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
The main difference from the 03 to 04 is the maf sensor, and the way the pcm will handle the info.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Talking Not the same.

I work at the essex engine plant where we build the v6 and I call tell you that the intake manifolds changed after the 03 model year.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
intake from k&n

Well, hello all.

I am new here. I just bought an 06 4.2. I also am looking for an intake.

I called K&N to find out more about development for this product. The rep there said that they did not have anything in the works, and would probably not develop something. He said that the reason is because they feel that if somebody wants performance, they would have gotten the V8.

Pretty stupid if you ask me. I guess they didnt realize that the V6 was the only option if you wanted a manual transmission. I guess they also didnt realize that there is only a 20 BHP difference between the v6 and the 4.6 v8.

Anyway, screw K&N. Let's hope that somebody else develops this.

I work for a large company that sells aftermarket performance parts. I wont tell you who, cause this is not a sales pitch, but anyway, I am going to call all of the manufacturers that we carry (Volant, S&B, AEM, Airaid) and find out for us if anybody else will make the damn thing.

It steams me that they feel that you can't get performance out of a V6. Hell, my 2.0L V4 ZX2 has plenty of performance parts!

I think it should be the other way around. If you spent the money for the 5.4 - why should you need performance parts? It should perform well already, right?

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated.

JB

Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Update already!

I just talked with S&B -

They are very nice! My rep there said that he was going to get a 4.2 from the dealer next door and try some of the products to see if any of them fit!

What he told me was that they would develop one if there was significant interest. They need to sell about 200 to break even on the product.

However, if there is an existing one that fits, that would put a product out on the market right away!

To anybody out there reading this: Call S&B and tell them that you want that intake!

JB

Quick Reply: Intake Question???