P1400 code.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1400 code.

My truck is a 2002 with the 4.2L and 81,000 miles on it. The other night I was filling up with gas and after I started the truck, the service engine soon light came on. I took it home and used my XCAL2 to pull the code. The code I got was P1400. After doing some searches here I found it to be a bad DPFE sensor or low voltage. The truck still seems to be running just fine but I'm going to replace the DPFE, has anyone done this themselves?

Edit: Ok, I found where the DPFE is located and how to replace it. I've called around a few local auto parts stores and can't seem to find anyone who has the DPFE for my truck. Is this something I can only get at the dealership?

Last edited by ChrisT; 06-05-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

I read here awhile back that the DPFE sensor was going bad on 02 and 03 F150s,and Ford was replacing them free of charge.Call 'em up and see if you qualify.They can only tell you no.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that tip, I read that as well and found out that it was 5year\60K miles on that warranty. I have 81K now so I missed out on that one. So I went to Ford today and purchased the part for 50$. I went back out to my truck, started it up and now the "service engine soon" light is no longer lit. Did my truck get scared and think I was going to trade it in or something??? Either way, I still plan on replacing the sensor since I bought it and it's non-refundable plus I am sure it needs to be replaced. Now my problem is I cannot seem to get the old one loose from the metal hoses. I really pulled up on the sensor as it appears to be pressure fit after you remove the sensor plug. I cannot get the thing to pull out of there. Anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how to get this DPFE sensor out? Here is a pic, thanks all.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
You gotta remember,those hoses have been on there a few years and they are not gonna just slip off.Try using a screwdriver to pry between the hose and the sensor,twisting the screwdriver between the two as you pull the hose off. If that fails cut the fittings off at the sensor and try pulling the broke pieces out with pliers.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Exclamation

BTW,the CEL is still there,but not showing.Unhook the negative cable before you remove the sensor then upon hooking the cable up the CEL code will be gone and your engine can learn the new sensor.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks blue, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. My main concern is bending or even breaking those hoses. The twisting of a screw driver is a good idea...

Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, I got the DPFE sensor replaced. Hooked up the XCAL2 and cleared the code. Ran the DTC again and pulled a code P1000 this time. No check engine light or anything. I read that this code is normal when you change any sensor and will last until the truck re learns with the new sensors so all is good now

Quick Reply: P1400 code.