sunpro tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunpro tachometer

ok..so for this engine it says "unsupported" under the wire diagrams, that came with my "sunpro super tach II" but unfortuneatly...I don't accept "unsupported" as a total resolve. so, I know there has been some posts asking/begging for help installing this, and so I will gravel...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! HOW IN THE HELL DOES FORD THINK THIS TRUCK DOESN'T NEED A TACHOMETER!

thank you

Last edited by bojanglys; 08-21-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM
No one has any insight?!?!

Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 AM
You can try to tap into pin #48 on the wire harness, but it wont be exact unless you get a tach adapter. You need the adapter for an exact reading because the wire puts out the signal in a slighty different wavelength than the tach wants. Here is a write up on installing a tach:http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...achinstall.asp

Old 08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
It works perfectly!! And it IS exact. I matched it up with the digital one, and they are n'sync! thanks for the insight!

Old 08-28-2005, 01:53 AM
I have been meanign to install a tach for some while now...how difficult was it? I have installed a CD player, an amp and sub in my f-150, Driving lamps in my isuzu, ect. I am just wondering...

How long it took you?
Is there alot of tedious wiring to do?
What faceplate/color did you buy?(They have the black faceplate, but I doubted the illumination).
And what size did you go for?(I was looking at the 2-3/4")

Sorry for so many questions but I have really been meaning to do this since I got the truck in Feb. I think i have my next "doy-off" planned.

Old 08-28-2005, 12:21 PM
It wasn't too difficult once, it took about 2 hours, (i couldn't find the right tools to save my life) I figured out that pin 48 on the 104 pin connector was easy if you count all the pins..basically its easy to lose track. all you need is a 10 mm wrench for the pcm, i think its a 1/4 inch wrench for the battery, and an 1/8 inch drill bit (i think), to drill out pin 48 and stick about two inches of I believe 20ga wire. The post before mine has pictures, but its a slightly different setup. I still haven't run the wire to the headlamps, but its not hard. I have the 2 3/4 with the black face that I got from advance for like 30 bucks. some butt end connectors, and the wire, and you should be set.
P.S. if you have an amp, then to make it easier, I ran the tach signal to the amp lead wire, because its only hot when the amp is on. It was just easier.
good luck

Quick Reply: sunpro tachometer