P0171/p0174

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0171/p0174

I have been battling a check engine light for some time now. Went to the local Autozone to have the code(s) read. The employee told me the codes were Bank 1 Too Lean and Bank 2 Too Lean and that I needed to replace the O2 sensors. Not wanting to dish out $100 on both sensors, I figured I would do some investigative research.

I read the message boards until my brain started hurting from information overload. I found a ton of good information and a lot for the V8 engines, but not much for those of us running a V6.

Let me give you a brief run down of what has been done and then I will get to my question.

1. MAF Cleaned
2. TB Cleaned
3. Oil & Gas Cap Checked
4. Replaced the fuel filter
5. Seafoam ran through Brake Booster hose and gas tank.
6. PCV valve and hoses checked. (Which brings me to my question. )
*note: Battery disconnected and codes reset after each thing listed.*

I have read posts about the PCV hose with the 90 degree rubber elbow going bad. From the PCV on the passenger side I traced the hoses. I found 3 hoses, 1 hard plastic tube and 1 hose mounted to the side of the throttle body, and the other hose on top of the motor under the TB. Unfortunately I did not see any of these hoses connected to a 90 degree rubber elbow near the TB. Could someone tell me if one of these hoses is the one that goes bad? And if so which one?
Thanks!

P.S. Pictures would be a big help.

2001 Ford F150
Supercab
4.2L V6
52K miles
No Mods

Last edited by nate620; 04-10-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that your problem is not related to the pcv system at all, but the bolts that hold the bottom half of the plastic intake to the aluminum lower intake manifold. Does it stumble when started up cold and run better as it warms up? The bolts in question have rubber seals built onto them which is what goes bad. Ford has redesigned them a couple of times. The new bolts will have green rubber seals, and the factory ones are black. Hope this helps,

Robbie

Quick Reply: P0171/p0174