Motor gone....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor gone....

I drove my '98 yesterday to the store. Came home parked it about 2 hours and went to go somewhere and it wouldn't start.

This morning I took the battery out and had it tested, the guy said it looked OK. Tested the starter and he said it worked but was in bad shape. I put a new starter in it. Jumped it off my other vehicle and it started fine. Cept it put a big hole in the oil pan and spit oil all over my driveway. Looks terminal, but what the heck is the problem here. I've read the thread about he '97 but mine is a '98. I just hit 90,000. Never notice any water levels low and the oil in my driveway has no water in it.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Sounds like it hydrolocked or something. I'd start looking in the junkyards for a used 2000 and up 4.2 engine with low miles.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
This whole 4.2 hydrolocking thing is scaring me. What ever came of your problem? Note that I've got the same engine and year, and I'm just a couple thousand under your mileage.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
$2761.00 for a Jasper engine, should be delivered tomorrow. Still don't know what the heck caused my old one to go. Never give me the first indication that it would. Oil is changed regularly, fliuds look good. It is the oddest darn thing I've ever seen.

It will cost me about $3500, and will more than likely be the last FORD I ever buy. I know all make have lemons but this just doesn't seem right to me at all. I could understand if it had overheated, run out of oil or blown a gasket, but to run fine one minute and grenade the next is too much.

Can't afford a new one now though, so I'll ahve to patch it up for $3500.

Anyone looking for a recommendation. DO NOT BUY a V6. Uses way too much gas, to not have the power of a real negine, and may leave you stranded with a $3500 bill without warning.

Any anyone know what could cause one to grenade like that I'm all eyes. It is perplexing.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:04 PM
BTW the sticker on my old one engine had a date of 01/98.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:04 AM
What a drag. You might want to check this site: www.leakingfords.com --- some guys on this forum directed me to it. Believe it or not an entire site dedicated to this problem!

Sorry for your troubles. After some research it apparently only affected 97 and very early 98 engines. Mine was built in March and is supposed to be OK.

The Jasper ought to work out. I talked to them and they installed better gaskets, etc. Plus they do give a good warranty and have a good track record.

With Toyota coming on it would have made sense to not let something like this get out of hand and undermine consumer loyalty. Maybe we all ought to learn that we're just sales to these companies. The idea of thinking one brand is better than another is probably outdated.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Truck should be ready today. The guy at the shop said he sees a lot of it. He showed me an E150 that they had just put and engine in for the same problem.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by S_Gibson
$2761.00 for a Jasper engine, should be delivered tomorrow. Still don't know what the heck caused my old one to go. Never give me the first indication that it would. Oil is changed regularly, fliuds look good. It is the oddest darn thing I've ever seen.

It will cost me about $3500, and will more than likely be the last FORD I ever buy. I know all make have lemons but this just doesn't seem right to me at all. I could understand if it had overheated, run out of oil or blown a gasket, but to run fine one minute and grenade the next is too much.

Can't afford a new one now though, so I'll ahve to patch it up for $3500.

Anyone looking for a recommendation. DO NOT BUY a V6. Uses way too much gas, to not have the power of a real negine, and may leave you stranded with a $3500 bill without warning.

Any anyone know what could cause one to grenade like that I'm all eyes. It is perplexing.
funny... if you knew how to do the work yourself you can get a complete rebuilt motor installed for 1,000.

and is it FORDS fault that you did not check the TSB on your truck? no. if you would've checked you would've seen your truck would fall into the problem area and you would've been warned.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:36 PM
The original problem was the intake manifold gasket leaking coolant into number four or number one cylinder. Anyone that has the 4.2 early models, I recommend replacing the intake gaskets. Look to see if the passenger side gasket is yellow in color between the manifold and the cylinder head. If so, REPLACE them. Ford has updated the gaskets. Only use the factory gaskets. It will cost a few hundred bucks, but way cheaper than an engine.

Robbie

Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I e-mail FORD and recieved no response. I called the 1-800-392-FORD and spoke to Krista ID#2295. She took all my information and and said their were no recalls or problems on my vehicle and she was sorry but she would put my report on file and they would examine it. Since my vehicle was out of warrantee she said that FORD had no responsibility in the matter.

I told her if I had not maintained the vehicle or tore it up I would not be calling. The only reason I was calling is because I had found out this is a known problem. I bought this truck 2 years ago from Ciener Woods Ford in Kernersville. Nothing was mentioned at the time about this, and I assumed buying from a dealership they would have taken needed precautions to not sell a lemon.

When I mentioned what I'd read online and on the leakingford link she said unfortunaly they couldn't control what was online about their product, but they didn't know anything about this issue.

Long story short. I know now why I was able to buy a used FORD truck for $1000 cheaper than others. I know why the resell value of Ford trucks are listed so much cheaper. I know now that a FORD truck will not be something I purchase again.

Has anyoen successfully taken FORD to court over this issue? If so what was the outcome? Are their any groups that have gotten together to sue FORD over this issue? If FORD is not a reputable enough company to back its problem, then I feel their is no other recourse, but to sue. Again, if I had damaged the motor I would suck it up and move on.

I'd like to thank those on this website for maintianing such a good site, with helpful visitors. I wish I'd have known sooner to have this repair done to my vehicle. I could have saved myself $1000's.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm forced to be a FORD owner much longer than I wanted, have to pay off a motor now

Old 01-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Don't hold it against Ford trucks. Ford trucks are strong vehicles. Albeit some have more problems than others. I bet if you check out a Chrysler forum, or a Chevy forum you would find similar problems and similar people who will "never" buy that brand again. I know you are angry. It is to be expected. Just thought I would try and shed a little light on the subject for you personally, S Gibson. It is not the truck's fault.

Robbie

Last edited by bigbronc; 01-13-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Motor gone....