99 4.2 suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4.2 suggestions

hi guys! new to this board, my first post. i just bought a f-150 4x4 short bed reg cab 4.2 w 5 speed. with 3:55 gear ratio. here my questions,
1) are the '99 4.2 's ok? i 've read so much about the early mod. just wondered when they got the bugs worked out
2)is it up to the task of pulling a 2000 lb popup tent camper?
3)is the superchip a real help?
4)what drawbacks from the superchip?(gas mileage,longevity, octane requirements)
thanks in advance, really enjoying the site so far

Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 AM
The 99's are fine, most issues were on the 97 to early 98 models. Superchips give much better performance, I have the 9100 programmer and have been highily satisfied. I would suggest electric fans first since you intend to tow and have a four wheel drive. Expect about 10hp gain w/ electric fans but you will gain most of this in the lower rpm were you will be the most. I have noticed no real change in mpg w/ the programmer, I run almost exclusivly on the 93 max performance program. A 2000 lb pop up will be no problem even stock. Enjoy.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:38 AM
The chip is an excellent mod. I have experimented by removing mine, and my mileage is about 10% better with the chip. Since premium fuel is about 10% more expensive, it does not really save you any money, BUT the truck is SO MUCH BETTER to drive. My truck is a real dog without the chip, and it has adequate performance with the chip.

My truck will ping under heavy load on less than 91 octane - I only had one time where I had to fill put in lower grade fuel, so I only put in a few gallons and then filled up with premium at the first opportunity.

I have about 90,000 miles and have had the chip in for more than 80,000 miles. My'99 has been 100% reliable - absolutely no problems of any kind.

I have an automatic, so I also benefit from better shifting. With the chip in, I notice I don't need to push the gas pedal down as far to keep up with traffic, less down shifting on moderate grades, etc... The most noticieable power increase is 1,800 - 3,000 rpm, where I drive most.

An FIPK such as the Airaid will give you a noticeable power increase above 3,000 rpm, but seems to make no difference at low rpm. More throttle roar at wide open throttle, too.

I had a drop in K&N filter before putting on the Airaid - no change in mileage or performance over the stock filter.

Electric fan helped my mileage, but with the automatic tranny it was hard to notice a power increase on my truck. Most of the guys who say they can feel a power difference have a 5 speed.

Last edited by dirt bike dave; 11-24-2004 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:29 PM
thanks guys, now the big question, how many $$$ for these gadgets, and how much trouble to install,and what are good brands? would love to hear from a few more of you guys too

Old 11-24-2004, 06:34 PM
oh yeah, is there a benefit to a fuel system flush ? i heard a dealer talking the other day about having this done every 30,000 miles. my truck has 62,000 on it when i bought it, so i don't know if this has ever been done. it was a lease truck,reckon they service them for that?

Old 11-25-2004, 11:06 AM
When I bought the chip, it was about $220, Airaid FIPK about $200, E-fan kits are anywhere from $180 - $400+ or you can go to the junkyard and find one off a Crown Victoria (search for info on this install).

Chip install is easy - it is easy to get the computer out. Then you clean the contacts on the PC board, slide the chip on, but the computer back in and go. On some trucks you will need to solder a jumper wire onto the PC board (I had to on mine), or the truck won't start. The chip comes with instructions on what to do if you need the jumper wire.

FIPK install is very easy - like 1/2 hour or less with simple handtools.

Fan install was a little more complicated getting the fan mounted just right and doing a little wiring; Plus you will need to rent or borrow fan removal wrenches to get your old one off (Auto Zone will loan you one for free). It took me all day to get my 'universal' fan installed how I wanted it, but I had to drive over 45 minutes one-way to find an Auto Zone that had the fan wrench available.

If you search this site, you can find lots of info on fan installation.

Re: fuel system flush, I have never had one done. However, the F150's are notorious for clogging fuel filters, if you suspect a fuel system problem, change your fuel filter first! If you do it yourself, buy a fuel line removal tool; it is apparently a real PITA without the tool.

BTW, on the V6, many people have noisy fuel injectors. It makes a clicking sound, especially on cold start up. Besides the noise, the noisy injector's don't seem to harm the truck's performance or reliability at all.

Old 11-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Re: 99 4.2 suggestions

Originally posted by r.grider
hi guys! new to this board, my first post. i just bought a f-150 4x4 short bed reg cab 4.2 w 5 speed. with 3:55 gear ratio. here my questions,
1) are the '99 4.2 's ok? i 've read so much about the early mod. just wondered when they got the bugs worked out
2)is it up to the task of pulling a 2000 lb popup tent camper?
3)is the superchip a real help?
4)what drawbacks from the superchip?(gas mileage,longevity, octane requirements)
thanks in advance, really enjoying the site so far
If you had a choice, I would get 2000+ models. There are some features that I would have liked. They added a hand hold for the drivers side A pillar. 1999 and older only had passenger side handholds. Also they added bed lights to the XL model for 2000+. If you are getting higher models, this wont matter much. Otherwise I believe the 1999 are about the same as later models.

Quick Reply: 99 4.2 suggestions