Rough Shift to Second Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2000, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Shift to Second Gear

I have a 1994 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 5.0 with O/D Transmission. After driving on the highway in excess of 55, when I return to the City it bumps or shifts hard into second gear. After driving around the city for a couple of days or so it will return to normal. I also pull a boat trailer (3,000 lbs) I heard somewhere that you shouldn't use OD to pull with. Any ideas and suggestions. I had the transmission worked on - they said they rebuilt it - but it still does it. I am getting ready to pull a camper to Maine on Saturday.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Joe Harris

Old 06-12-2000, 05:33 PM
I asked the same question in the Pre-97 Forum. Check the thread there. Here'd what Pastmaster said:

'Thats what I would assume it is (sensor). I have heard of alot of E40d's that have underwent rebuilds because of bad shifting, especially Powerstrokes. I am not sure if during a rebuild the rebuilder puts new sensors in. I would say start with sensors. You might get a code reader and check the codes'.

------------------
1994 F150, 302 V8, Flowmaster, K&N FIPK

Old 05-08-2001, 12:44 AM
I found out that it was the Throttle Positioning Sensor. After having the valve body replaced and some of the solenoids replaced, etc. Now runs and has the power to keep speed up going up hill without having to stomp it to get it to downshift.

Joe

Quick Reply: Rough Shift to Second Gear