5 speed shifting problems. Need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 5 speed shifting problems. Need opinions...

My 2001 is doing the same thing my 99 seemed to do, and I beleive my 98 Ranger did this too, so maybe it's just me, thought the Ranger's was rebuilt for me, and started doing it again, before I traded it. I usually shift at about 2,500 to 3,000. When I shift normally like this, I push in the clutch, slowly change gears, let the clutch out fast, and gas it again. When I do this, it's really jerky / rough shifting, and I sometimes get a small grinding sound, especially between 2nd., and 3rd. Maybe I don't know how to drive a clutch since I was never taught. Can someone give me some pointers or a run down of what should actually be done from take off, to overdrive? Thanks guys...I really wonder if it's me, or what, because sometimes it shifts smooth as butter, and other times, it's really rough. I'm looking for info on how to work the gas / clutch properly. Thanks!!!

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500 Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 04-17-2001, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same symptoms but my dad's 89 would do the same thing. I have found that it shifts great at real low rpm's, like when you are lazy and just cruising around or it shifts great when you romp on it and go for the gold. In between it just doesn't seem to be consistant, smooth or rough, it does what it wants. I just drive. A stick just comes natural after awhile....one of those things you just learn. Hope this helps a little.

------------------
1998 Ford F150 4.2L V6
American Racing Rims
Brush Gaurd
Tinted Windows
Saving for lift and SuperChip
3.55 Rear
5 Spd.

Old 04-17-2001, 09:42 AM
Angry

I can't say anything about "jerky / rough shifting" but that grinding noise between 2nd and 3rd seems to be normal for these trucks. It is less of a problem if you line up the shifter so you can push it straight foreward into 3rd. It's worse when you shove it diagonally from 2nd.

------------------
2000 XL 4.6 5spd 2WD reg-cab long-box 3.55 LS 235/70/16 Chestnut (not 2-tone) Raven-Cap (and a '66 GTO with a '73 455, both combined cost less than a Lightning )

Old 04-17-2001, 10:47 AM
Thumbs down

have the dealer check the synchros on your tranny. mine used to grind between 1-2 and 2-3 all the time.

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S; Amsoil Series 2k in the diffs.

Old 04-17-2001, 11:04 AM
The only problem with grinding I have ever had was going from neutral to reverse. I have to throw it into 1st and then into reverse to avoid grinding. My ranger did the exact same thing. Other than that it shifts silky smooth always. By the way, I was never taught either. I just told my dad one day that I was going to take his 87 toyota 4wd and teach myself. He didn't care since he bought the truck for only $900.00 and told me that if I break it, I fix it.

Quick Reply: 5 speed shifting problems. Need opinions...