Clutch Hydrolics

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Hydrolics

So my clutch hydrolic system is having some problems. I have a 1995 F150 I6 Manual. Rather frequently there just isn't being any pressure built up so I can't get into gear. The clutch petal even sticks to the floor sometimes. Anyway, for a while I thought there was a leak in the system because adding some fluid would get her going again (usually). However, I'm convinced now there isnt a leak and anything I would add would simply overflow when I put the plastic piece in and the cap back on. I've also noticed I get better results when I open up the fluid cap while the truck is running rather than when it is off. Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong? Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's not leaking. Oh yeah, and cold weather makes the condition worse. *shrug* Any comments would be appreciated.

------------------
1995 F150 4.9L 6Cyl
http://kirby.colorado.edu/~terry/f150.html

Old 12-21-2000, 09:04 PM
If there's no leakes its either your clutch master cylinder, or the slave cylinder. Close your eyes cross your fingers and hope like hell its the master cylinder. its fairly simple to swap out

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 12-28-2000, 02:35 PM
Angry

The concentric slave cylinder is bad. It is a $70.00 part with $400.00 labor because it is located inside the bellhousing. i live in a cold climate and it happens all the time to me and other people in my area. I have contacted Ford with the problem with no response yet. so if anyone else is having the same problem please call Ford, it seems to be only 1994 and 1995. i put a 2 inch lift in mine and they kit came with the steering wheel extension and the new brackets for the shroud.

Old 12-30-2000, 03:21 PM
Red face

Damn. You sounds pretty sure of my problem. I was hoping I could just swap the master and get her running. Now I have to find a whole day I can spend swapping out the slave. *rolls eyes* Is there any way to test either the master or slave for sure before I do the work?

------------------
1995 F150 4.9L 6Cyl

Old 12-31-2000, 11:47 AM
UrbanCowboy: I've run into the same problem. Between my father and I, we went through 3 slave cylinders, two in his 93 150 4x4, with the 4.9, 75K, and one in my similarly equipped 94 2wd, 70K, but I believe mine was ready to pack it in again when i traded it in. The problem didn't show up in either truck until the warranties were out, so no help from Ford. The service advisor in our dealership said that on cold mornings, you should engage/disengage the clutch very slowly a couple of times to "loosen it up" before driving. I don't know if it will help, my dad still has his truck, we had the slave cylinder replaced last spring, so only time will tell. An interesting point of note, the first time we had this replaced, parts had to be ordered, and it took about five days to do the work (no doubt learning what is involved). The next and third time they had all the neccesary parts onhand, and the truck was done the next day. This tells me that the have gotten very experienced at this specific job. But we had much the same problems, a seemingly slow leak that could not be found, (ie spot on the ground, fluid trails on the underbody etc.) and trouble shifting, until eventually you cannot even get it in gear. As far as testing each cylinder, go ask either a Ford dealer, or a shop that does tranny work, they should point you in the right direction.

Old 01-01-2001, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone since none of you had your email in your profile Happy New Years

------------------
1995 F150 4.9L 6Cyl

Old 01-02-2001, 10:23 AM
I am having the same problem with my clutch, but the fluid level decreases. Did your fluid level drop in the master cylinder? Have you replaced the master cylinder yet. I was thinking about doing that first before spending quality time with the quick dry in the garage floor. How much is a new master cylinder?

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2001, 10:48 AM
The two guys on here seemed to know what they were talking about so I was gunna go ahead with plans on the slave cylinder. Gunna do the work ourselves so it'll only cost me a couple 12-packs. As for the declining fluid level, mine does seem to go down a little but I can't find a leak

------------------
1995 F150 4.9L 6Cyl

Old 01-03-2001, 10:26 PM
Unhappy

I've had the same problem with my 97 F-150 in the past two weeks. The fluid level goes way down REAL FAST, and it won't shift at all. (By the way, I hope you guys don't mind a lady joining you.) I love driving my pickup but this is ridiculous. It's been just one little thing after another, and this is the worst. My husband and my #2 son are going to replace the part tomorrow night. Well....maybe I should say *starting* tomorrow night.

Old 01-03-2001, 11:05 PM
I took my truck into the dealer to see if the problems would be covered under warrantee. I talked the mechanic into only charging me a half hour labor if it didn't pan out. Of course none of it was covered. Here's the work I'm told I need to have done. Not sure when I'll find the time...

Replace the Throughout Assembly
*Not sure what that is but I'll Figure it out
Replace the fuid line
Replace the master assembly

Also:
My Breaks need work and two tires are showing their cores

------------------
1995 F150 4.9L 6Cyl

Old 01-06-2001, 12:28 AM
Just before I lost fluid the first time my clutch was making a funny noise when you depressed it. After the second time I lost hydraulic fluid, I decided to check the master cylinder. A mechanic told me that if the master cylinder is leaking that it would do so from the inside and run down the firewall into and behind the carpet under the pedals. I looked and could only find a little bit of what lookes like dried brake fluid on the bracket that the master cylinder mounts to. I think I am going to replace the master cylinder first and make sure that it isn't the problem before I invest time and money into the slave cylinder.

Old 01-08-2001, 05:12 PM
Well,
It is done $350.00 later, (found some cheap labor). I have a clutch again. The slave cylinder was actually broken in 2 pieces. The test will be when it gets really cold again.

Quick Reply: Clutch Hydrolics