Tranny making odd noise in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny making odd noise in reverse

I was backing up today and the tranny made an odd noise. It doesn't do it when idling backward or under light load. But it does it when I step on the gas and load the drive train, only in reverse. I know it's next to impossible to describe what a noise sounds like in a type written message, but I'll try. It reminds me of the sound you hear when the pressure relief valve opens on a piece of hydraulic equipment that has been loaded beyond it's capacity. Sort of like saying "REEEEEEEEE" loudly. Again, it's only under load and in reverse. When I let off the gas, it stops. Does anyone have an idea what kind of catastrophe awaits? Of course this kind of thing always crops up at the worst possible time to try and get it in the shop! At least with me anyway. Any input is appreciated.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's, 16x8 Center Line Hell Cats. Needs one more door.
http://hometown.aol.com/ninetyeightfword

Quick Reply: Tranny making odd noise in reverse