Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fluid Change

Hey guys,
I have a 99' Ford F150 XL V-6 3.55 and I had to have my tranny fluid changed today, It was burned really bad and smelled bad too... I only have 23,000 on the truck and I don't tow anything, stricly a street/sport/show/ truck... So is this normal?

Old 11-02-2000, 06:51 PM
Horseman,

Could be. I had the full flush too at 14,000 miles (2 years) strictly as a preventative measure and not because of any problems.

I was told "it needed it" (not burned, just dirty). I think this maintenance procedure is overlooked by many and well worth the cost (to me)and aggravation it can prevent.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 11-03-2000, 02:19 AM
Horseman, there could be several contributing factors to your x-mission fluid smelling burnt and discolored. You say you are driving normaly with no towing. With the newer trucks (and cars) with less space under the hood and less airflow over the x-mission the temps will rise. Another factor is if you are climbing many hills. Just a slight incline can cause the operating temp in your x-mission to climb especially with the overdrive and lockout converter. Another thing is if it is continuously kicking in and out of gears while driving and going up inclines. I used to rebuild x-missions and a real good thing to have is a cooler, it is well worth the investment and takes only a few minutes to install. As long as when you had the fluid changed you didn't see many particles in the pan it would be safe to say your x-mission is fine. It just needs a little help with cooling the fluid. Let me know if there is anything else going on and if I have any input I will let you know. Just a note: it is always good to change the fluid every 25,000 to 30,000 miles depending on ones driving habits.

------------------
ecm747x

[This message has been edited by ecm747x (edited 11-03-2000).]

Quick Reply: Fluid Change