Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2000, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Failure

I have a 1999 expedition (Eddy Bauer) with 5.4 engine and 35,000 KM on it. This vehicle has never pulled a trailer and the torque converter went out of it yesterday... there is a 2 week back order to recieve a new tranny from Ford.. Is this a common failure for this type of vehicle for Ford.. any information from people with similiar problem??

Old 08-15-2000, 02:53 PM
Thumbs down

Darkfire_ca-
My truck is currently in the shop for tranny problems with the 1-2 shift cylinoid went out, and when they were in the process of replacing that, they found torque converter "material" in the tranny, and called me and told me that they are going to replace the torque converter, and then in the next breath they are telling me that in the long run they might just end up putting a new re-built tranny in it.....beats the heck out of me. I have towed in both overdrive on flat roads, then switched the tranny to drive when in hilly areas where the tranny is shifting more. Truck has 31,000 miles on it, and have had a lot of other problems....right now within the past 9 months, it has been in for service a total of 25 days....
Update....I got the call that my truck was done,....got there and they ended up putting in a rebuilt tranny in my truck, very unhappy about that....looks like regional Ford representative is going to hear about that as well....now the rebuilt tranny seems like it "hunts" for gears more than the old one did...really disappointed with this fix.

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 Offroad, SuperCab, Prairie Harvest Gold, 5.4L Triton w/ K&N Air Filter, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Lund Headlight Covers, Lund Screenfront Grill Insert, Vent Visors, Smittybilt Outland Sport Bumper Gaurd w/ Hella 500 & 550 Driving lights, Access Roll-up Cover, Bedliner, Ford Reciever Hitch Cover, Taillight Covers, Bridgestone Dueler AT's

Future Mods:
Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust, Nerf bars, 4" Suspension Lift, 3" Body Lift, 35" Tires

[This message has been edited by MNFORD99 (edited 08-16-2000).]

Old 08-16-2000, 12:06 AM
Rog
I havent had a prob with my 97 F250, but my 1994 had a 302/E40D auto and it went through two Torqueconverters, one at around 35k and one at 76k. I sold it due to that prob. I worked at a Ford dealership (not a mechanic) and the mechanics said it was due to towing in OD. I didnt tow much though and after the 1st Torqueconv replacement, I NEVER towed in OD. Not sure what the problem was

------------------
Roger Fastring
1997 F250LD S/C 4x4
5.4, Auto 113k+miles

Old 08-25-2000, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear, my trans seems to be burning fluid and slipping out of gear while turning corners,,I definately don't want one that has already failed once in it's life. How do I talk them
into giving me a new one???

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips
color matched snuglid
B&M Shiftplus
Westin nerfsblk powdercoat
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/RS speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam,
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.etc.etc....etc......

Old 08-29-2000, 01:58 PM
98Screamer-
I talked with the *****ty service department manager, Ford Regional Service Engineer..(if that is what he is called), and they never install new transmissions off the assembly line. I said to them that it is completely an udder disgust with me about that, and how I am being treated after spending $30,000 on a truck that I was planning on keeping.
I have taken up all of my problems with my truck up with the Ford Dispute Settlement Board to see if something else will be done...
I wanted to see the old tranny and see what had happened to it, but when I asked to see it, they had supposively already packaged it up, and it was not able to be seen. I found that hard to believe that they had done that when the rest of the service there has been so damn slow. Good luck with the tranny problem, and I hope you get better results than what I got.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure