Shift Kit, Shift Improvement Kit, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2000, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift Kit, Shift Improvement Kit, help?

Many thanks for checkin my post out.
Drove a freinds Roush F150 this week and shifting is really really firm. If you're easy on the pedal it rides a tiny bit firmer than stock. But when you step on it, it will ride in first, shift to second with a jolting tire squeal then go into third a little softer with no squeal, then forth a tiny bit softer. I was wonderin if this was a custom kind of shift kit or if this is one of the ones that are being sold by aftermarket companies in catalogs and magazines. If it is are there any recommendations for a specific kit? So far I have seen Jet, TransGO, and Banks with the kits. My truck is a 2000 F150 XLT with the 5.4 liter V8 with automatic transmission. Thanks again guys.

Old 04-03-2000, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver in my '97 w/4.6l. After a couple weeks use, I really like it. Pretty simple install in spite of the lame B&M instructions.

Some owners who have installed this item complain about a high pitched "hum" from the tranny hydraulic pump (this is what the thing does, apparently...increase the RPMs of the pump), and the in-line "box" on the cable to the dash switch tends to get pretty toasty hot. I mounted mine in the engine bay, hoping it would stay cooler there. No noticeable hum from mine.

I think there are better ways to do what you want: a Superchip (if you can hack the premium gas it requires) or an internal B&M kit that installs inside the tranny. The internal kits don't sound too tough to do if you have some mechanical ability.

That's my experience.

------------------
'97 F150 Supercab XLT; 4.6l; B & M ShiftPlus; Pacific Green; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); ARE fiberglass bed cap; towing package; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

Old 04-11-2000, 10:47 PM
Cool

I also have the B&M in mine it is not as drastic as you are describing. I also dont know if they make them for the 2000. You have to get the trans code and check. The trans code is on the doorjam drivers side. It will say TR and ther is a number under it. They will only fit if the code is: D,E,P,U,H,L,or V.

I have never noticed a whine in mine!! It is also a 3 position and I never use 3. It is real hard shifting. Possibly what your friend uses. Good Luck!

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and 3in fresh air airbox modifications,B&M Shift Plus,factory fogs added along with Blue bulbs and Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Old 04-12-2000, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the TransGo kit (drilled holes in the throttle body & springs/valves) and the Superchips. Shifts quick and firm when I get on it. Shifts pretty smooth if I drive decent.

Old 04-17-2000, 09:23 PM
Cool

hey T

Im in Tucson too! would like to talk to you about your truck transmission mods and such. Also have you four wheeled the beast? Let me know.

------------------
98 F250 LD 5.4 dual exhaust, K&N, Big tires

Quick Reply: Shift Kit, Shift Improvement Kit, help?