5-speed squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2000, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5-speed squeak?

Do the 5-speeds squeak when you press the clutch in? Mine does.....

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 04-12-2000, 08:36 PM
Nope.
If it is a squeak while you depress the pedal then stops, you could check: pedal pivot, master cylinder actuator, slave actuator, or pivot arm at transmission. Any could be in need of a spot of lube.

If it is a constant squeak/whine while you have the pedal depressed it would most likely be the throwout bearing.
.........Scott
2000 F150 4.2 5spd

[This message has been edited by Scott D (edited 04-12-2000).]

Old 04-12-2000, 10:21 PM
Question

it's like a squeak needing oil. I press it in, and it squeaks and stops. I park the truck, turn it off; and I press the clutch and it still squeaks. I was just curious, and I pumped the clutch quickly, and it squeaked as fast as I was pumping it. So it sounds like it needs to be lubed up. But with only 2,800 miles on it, is this normal?

------------------
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

Old 04-12-2000, 10:46 PM
The squeak you are hearing could be a bad slave cylinder. Not to scare you but I have a 97 150 Supercab 4x4 that had similar problems @ about 7k miles. I am now @ 32k and going on my third clutch. I would get it back to the dealer ASAP and start documenting what is going on. On mine they replaced the slave cylinder and I was good for about 15k more. It started again but now had a clunking sound when you press the clutch in. Not the typical drive train slight noise it happens before you re-engage, but a loud clunk. All of my clutches have been under warranty and the dealer has been pretty good but this truck was never right. I recently drove a 2000 like rig and it was not doing this at all. On a side note I have a 89 Bronco II with 170k on it and it is the original clutch so I do not believe it has anything to do with me. I would just get back to the dealer and start documenting. In the case you have a bad deal the earlier you document and tell the dealer the better position you will be in.

I find it hard to believe this is something Ford is not aware of. There are way too many postings on this site on the topic for it to be coincidence. The dealer I have been battling with was very cooperative in the beginning but is starting to become less accommodating as the problem continues. I am going into arbitration to get out of this truck right now. Both the dealer and the ASE tech agreed that there is little long term hope for this truck. Don't let this scare you just document now in the event you have a bad rig. It does happen...

Good luck...

Old 04-12-2000, 11:02 PM
then I better not put anymore $ in Mods then

------------------
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com

Old 04-12-2000, 11:07 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the Information

------------------
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com

Old 04-12-2000, 11:14 PM
Angry

Could this also be the reason I have hard shifting? Sometimes, it shifts perfect, others, it shifts like crap. I have had 2 5-speeds in my life, and never had this problem......

------------------
superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM fakefvc
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com

Old 04-17-2000, 04:34 PM
It could be. I find it hard to believe the slave cylinder could go causing this squeak and not effect anything else? I have had nothing but 5 speeds and never have experienced anything like this. I am having the third slave cylinder put in on Thursday. I will let you know if it cleans things up. I suspect it will as it has in the past but in never the sound soon comes back.

Quick Reply: 5-speed squeak?