Slush-Box of a Transmission…

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2000, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Slush-Box of a Transmission…

Well my ’97 started with a shudder, the dealer flushed and filled the transmission, shudder gone. Upon further inspection, when I changed my oil a couple thousand miles later, the transmission was overfilled, a quart. I removed fluid to the right level, now it’s the slush mobile. Shifts are, well for a lack of works, slurring into one another. Now what?
From time to time I noticed that the transmission was delaying shifting into second, then wouldn’t shift into overdrive unless I was at highway speeds, or totally warmed up. I took my truck to the dealer that I purchased the truck from, and who did the previous work. They ran tests on it, so they say, and couldn’t find any ”codes” on it. Before I could ask, they quickly said that it was test-drove, and no problem was noticed.
What to do now? I’ve already decided that I will never go back to that Service(?) Center again. The day after I had taken the truck in, I checked the fluid again, it was overfilled… Did they fill the transmission again? Or is there some imaginary force adding fluid as I sleep? Anyway, after this lengthy background, will a B&M electronic shift improver help my shifting, or is it something deeper?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’ve even thought about going to a different dealer to have the transmission looked at. I have the extended warranty, so I am no worried about the high prices the dealer charges for most services. Just glad there is an outstanding place like F150online to get the real scoop. Thanks in Advance.

Rob

Sorry for the long post...

------------------
1997 F150 XLT Ext. Cab, Green, 4.6 v8, 4x4, A/EOD, 3.55, K&N w/Low-Buck Airbox Modification, Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs, Bedliner, 265/75/16 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's, Door Cracks (fixed for now I hope...).

Old 03-31-2000, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the B&M Shift Improver kit (the mechanical one, not the electronic one) to provide much firmer shifts, although it still resists shifting into overdrive when cold. Installation is sort of a challenge but if you take your time and follow the directions you'll be fine. The whole deal took about 3 hours, including installing a drain plug in the pan.

Regards,
Bob P.

Old 03-31-2000, 01:12 PM
Robs4x4- I was sure that my transmission was overfilled the first time I checked it however the reading is taken {cold} after you start it up shift into reverse then forward then idle in park. It should then read in the right location. If you already have done this then its not correct. Capt.

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 F-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 4.10LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Flairside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Velocity tube... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...TRIPLE LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Superchip...Custom Gas cap holder...2" leveling shackels...Fox tail key chain...Clear turn signal bulbs..

Old 03-31-2000, 07:59 PM
Thumbs up

Howdy Rob,

To check your tranny fluid, let the truck sit overnight then start it up and move the gear selecter throughout each gear position (P-R-N-OD-2-1)allowing it to stay in each position for at least 5 seconds. Then do the same all the way to the (P) Park position (1-2-OD-N-R-P). Now remove the transmission dipstick and clean any fluid off with a clean rag (the cleaner you get the end of the dipstick the easier it will be to read) Insert the dipstick fully til it seats, count to ten then pull out the dipstick and take your reading. From the time you put it in park and clean the dipstick, you should take your reading within one miniute of this. The level should be at the bottom of the hash mark. After driving continiosly for aproximately 20 miles your trans should be at operating temperature. Follow the above procedure to recheck your fluid, it should now be at or near the top of the hash mark. The fluid should look new (Not brownish in color or smelled burnt). Also make sure the truck is parked on a level surface when checking your tranny level.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, FOxFO, 5.4L, 3.55, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS

[This message has been edited by LoNE WoLF (edited 03-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by LoNE WoLF (edited 03-31-2000).]

Old 04-03-2000, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Bob, I've been thinking about adding a shift kit, but wanted to be sure I didn't have a real problem...

Well Capt. and Lone, thanks for the cold check. My level is actually just a tad low, but when the transmission is hot from operation, it's over the hash mark. Is this normal?

This is one of the worst transmissions I've experienced, so far. My '85 K-5 Blazer would about chirp the tires, and my '89 Bronco had a nice firm shift, even after 130,000 miles... Sounds like a shift kit is in my future.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT Ext. Cab, Green, 4.6 v8, 4x4, A/EOD, 3.55, K&N w/Low-Buck Airbox Modification, Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs, Bedliner, 265/75/16 Dunlop Radial Rover RV's, Door Cracks (fixed for now I hope...).

Quick Reply: Slush-Box of a Transmission…