Rough shifting with manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1999, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob,
I just picked up my F150 from the dealer today. Almost identical problem to yours. Upshifting from 1st to 2nd would grind and overall shifting just felt slushy. The fix?
"removed trans assy replaced 1-2, 3-4 synchros, 2nd gear and blocking rings"
I also had the clutch replaced and the flywheel resurfaced, oh also had pcv valve replaced and injectors flushed. Total cost?
$1723.60 Total for rebuild of transmission?
approx $1100.00 Thank god for x-warr.
The transmission had this problem since I bought it used at 25k, but took until 67k to find a dealer who would admit this was not normal! I wish you the best of luck and if I can provide you with any additional info, please feel free to ask.

Mike

Old 12-19-1999, 12:16 AM
Post Rough shifting with manual tranny

I'm taking my 99 F-150 5 speed stick to the dealer to fix the rough shifting problem i've had with my truck since day 1. Shifting into all gears is a little rough, especially 2nd. I hear a slight grinding in all gears. The friction modifier didn't help. Now there's squeaking from the clutch when i engage it. One dealer lubed it but the squeaking was back in two days. I have a request for all who have had the same troubles. Will you take a moment to describe your problems and the eventual fix. I want to print the results and take to the dealer in case they say there isn't anything wrong with the 5 speed trannys. Thanks for your time and have a great x-mas and New Century!!Bob.

Old 12-19-1999, 12:18 AM
I forgot to mention i have a 4.2 engine.

Old 12-19-1999, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '97 was the same way. It improved after about 7 or 8k miles so I never took it in. Before that I talked to the service manager about it and he said the only fix was to put a new tranny in it. As for the squeaky clutch, mine has done that since it was about 6 months old. I guess it just doesn't bother me.

------------------
'97 XLT Reg. Cab, 4.2V6, 5spd, Superchipped, K&N Air Filter, Lund Deflector, Dash Mat, MagnaFlow Muffler, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Edelbrock Shocks, Duraliner, Extang Saber Tonneau, Bell-Tech 2" Rear Drop, Amer. Rac. Atlas Wheels Clad in 275/60/17 Eagle GTII. Likes straightaways, loves twisties.

Old 12-20-1999, 04:54 PM
test

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp., etc. Build #2755
stbtb@Tampabay.rr.com

http://www.zing.com/picture/ff/e9/23/c/ffe923c3.jpg.orig.jpg
1999[/URL] Expedition XLT

Old 01-09-2000, 01:39 AM
Location: Chandler/Queen Creek, AZ You pick as to which town I'm in! Hehe
Bob1,
I had the same problem with my truck as you discribed. My truck had 11,314 miles on it when I took it to the dealer, and they replaced the slave cylinder and pressure plate assembly. Since the work was completed, I haven't had any problems since.

Dean

------------------
99 F-150,XLT, Silver, 2WD, 4.2L, 5spd, RegCab, Shrt WB, Styleside.
Current Mods:Billet grille, Line-X bedliner, 5%window tint all the way around, Alpine CD w/2 MTX Subs & Rockford Fosgate 250w amp. K&N Airfilter. Glasspac w/dual exhaust exits out the back. Blue Ion Headlights.
Future Mods: Superchip, driving lights(on order), & a custom paint job

Old 01-20-2000, 11:49 PM
My tranny has the same problem, the rough shifting. It kinda grinds(just a little) when I go to 2 and then to 3rd.

I hope to get something going before my warranty goes out in May!!

I hope they have to at least change the fluid, so I can put Amsoil in. That way I will pay for the fluid and they can get dirty!! hehehe.

------------------
Lube-Direct

Old 01-29-2000, 05:24 PM
Red face

I have a 99 4.2L and the same problem. What did you do have to get the problem fixed?
This grinding has started from day 1 and thay say it is notmal but I know it is not so what did you do to get it fixed.

99 XL 4.2L, captains chairs, JVC deck, castrol syntec oil, alum mags

Old 01-29-2000, 09:16 PM
I had the Service Manager take me for a ride.
I told him that it is really rough from first to second. Then third to fourth.

So we went down the road. He got on it in first and when he went to go to second it ground for about 1 second. I about had a heart attack. The service manager said that it is definately messed up.

So my suggestion is to have the service mangager do the same. Get on the throttle in first and try to go to second fast. You will then be able to get some work done.

Hope this helps. My truck is still in the shop over the weekend. They didn't have all the parts. Supposed to be fixed by Tuesday. So Will let you all know how it turned out.
Also getting the Service Department to put Amsoil ATF in as a replacement. That should help too.

------------------
Lube-Direct

Old 01-31-2000, 11:28 PM
Cool

Bob,
I have a 98 4.6L 4x4 5spd with the same problem. Between 1st and second it grinds. When you depress the clutch I also get a loud clunk. The dealer says the backlash and tranny are fine. I also get a lot of tranny rattle in 4x4 especially coasting over bumps with the clutch in. I am taking it back into the dealer again. I only have 12,000 miles on the truck but I am getting frustrated. I had a 78 with a three on the tree that was smoother shifting.

AZTruck

------------------

Old 02-09-2000, 12:17 AM
My 97 has sorta the same thing, like the gears or teeth in there are still spinning a bit. Though I wouldn't really call it grinding. Happens usually just after I've started the truck, so maybe it just takes a few mins to get the fluid up in there and working.

I heard this was referred to a synchronizer problem. There are ideal speeds, that if you shift, it doesn't happen.
When I take my truck in for its next servicing, I'll have them take a look at it.
Oh yes, and I have never heard a squeak from the clutch.

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

[This message has been edited by Spartan (edited 02-08-2000).]

Quick Reply: Rough shifting with manual tranny