What's the difference between MERCON & MERCON V?

Old 10-09-1999, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the difference between MERCON & MERCON V?

Can somebody tell me what the difference is between MERCON AND MERCON V? I know, that MERCON=DEXRON III. I looked at the local auto supply store and all they had was MERCON/DEXRON III, TYPE F for older Ford's and +3 for older Chrysler's. Furthermore, when I checked the tranny fluid (4R70W with MERCON V) I noticed, that it is a lot darker than MERCON/DEXRON III. Is that normal? And last, but not least, why does the 4R70W need MERCON V? Any info is welcome!
----------------
Chris Raith
1999 XL S/C 4x4, 4.6w, auto etc.

Old 10-11-1999, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the following but here is what I heard from the ford tech at the dealer.
he says that mercon V is a synthetic version of ATF and therefore helps the trans last longer.
I have not been able to find syn mercon V at the local auto parts so for the time being I have to buy it at ford.

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 10-23-1999, 10:55 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
The diff. is that the new fluid is syn. which makes it have double the life of the old fluid. Instead of 30,000 miles to change, switch to the Mec. v it now is 60,000 miles to change. I hope this clears the fog for you. Your friend... LARIAT 1

------------------
RED/SILVER LARIAT SC. FLARESIDE 4X4 ORP,TOW PACK.,A.R.E FG.BEDCOVER,3.55LS,4.6L,AUTO,SPLITFIRE PLATINUM 3 SPARKPLUGS,K&NAIRFILTER/MOD. FACTORY AIRBOX,DUEL EX./20IN.CHROME TIPS,AVS WINDOW SHADES, DOOR SILLS &TAILLITE SLOTS,GTS CABRON FIBER HEADLITE COVERS,FORD 2 PIECE BRA, TINTED WINDONS, PENDALINDER TAILGATE INNER COVER, FORD TOTAL SECURITY SYSTEM/MOTION ALARM,FOGLITE ON WITH BRITES ON,FORD #1TRUCK UNDER GLASS ON FRONT LIC. PLATE,A/TS GOODYEAR TIRES,PERM.+FICTION DISC BRAKE PADS,OWENS FG. STEP BOARDS,55WATT BACKUP LITES, PILOT 55WATT ADD ON BACK UP LITES, <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/in2/lariat1/images/LARIAT1F150RED.jpg
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/in2/lariat1/images/LARIAT1F150RED.jpg
</A>

Old 10-24-1999, 01:18 PM
Wink

Thank you Lariat1!!!
I thought I wouldn't get any Info on this at all, since it has been a while since I posted this message. Where did you get the Info from? In my dealer supplied Maintenance Guide it still says to change the fluide at 40000km (25000mi). I read the owner manuel twice and there is no mention of any service i.e. change interval. The only thing it mentions is, that the 4R70W needs MERCON V! Thats all!? I suspected, that it had to do with synthetic vs. non synthetic oil. Do you know, or have you seen MERCON V on the shelfs in any car & truck accesories store in your area? It does not seem to be availabel in my area. Anyway, I am rambling on. Thanks for the info
------------------------
Chris Raith

------------------
1999 XL S/C 4x4, 4.6w, auto, LS 3.55
XL Appearance Group (Polished alloys, 40/60 bench, colour-keyed bodyside mouldings)
XL Value Group (Air, AM/FM Cassette)
Tilt & Cruise

Old 10-24-1999, 05:55 PM
wjt
Exclamation

Very interesting that you guys happen to be talking about Mercon V at this time. I just decided to check my tranny fluid on a whim this afternoon. Normally, I expect the dealer to check it for me when I bring it in for servicing. Unbelievable !!! When I checked the tranny fluid, none was to be found on the dipstick !!! So, I hurried downtown to find some Mercon V, after 4 autopart stores, finally found a quart at Pep Boys. Took the entire quart too, to bring it in the middle of the hot range on the dipstick. Lesson learned: Never trust your dealer to do what he's supposed to do. When I get back in town, I'm gonna do some yellin at the service guys at Academy Ford, Laurel, Maryland....I've already punished myself for the oversight....

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, dark blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, KC Hilites, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Gibson side swept exhaust, bedliner, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, a mild developing case of "piston slap", but that's OK, Big Blue says that he'll hang in there for a while...

Old 10-24-1999, 09:42 PM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
What filter did you go with? They are hard to find here.I have a 4x4, should I get a special filter for my truck? Input needed.Thanks...LARIAT1

------------------
RED/SILVER LARIAT SC. FLARESIDE 4X4 ORP,TOW PACK.,A.R.E FG.BEDCOVER,3.55LS,4.6L,AUTO,SPLITFIRE PLATINUM 3 SPARKPLUGS,K&NAIRFILTER/MOD. FACTORY AIRBOX,DUEL EX./20IN.CHROME TIPS,AVS WINDOW SHADES, DOOR SILLS &TAILLITE SLOTS,GTS CABRON FIBER HEADLITE COVERS,FORD 2 PIECE BRA, TINTED WINDONS, PENDALINDER TAILGATE INNER COVER, FORD TOTAL SECURITY SYSTEM/MOTION ALARM,FOGLITE ON WITH BRITES ON,FORD #1TRUCK UNDER GLASS ON FRONT LIC. PLATE,A/TS GOODYEAR TIRES,PERM.+FICTION DISC BRAKE PADS,OWENS FG. STEP BOARDS,55WATT BACKUP LITES, PILOT 55WATT ADD ON BACK UP LITES
http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1/myhomepage/auto.html

Old 10-25-1999, 10:17 PM
Hi guys!
Thanks for the replies. I can relate to your story wjt. First thing I did after getting my truck three weeks ago was checking all fluids (bad previous experience). After the frist week I noticed a trail of break fluid coming from the break fluid reservior cap. I brought the truck in and they had to take some fluid out of the reservoir because it was overfilled at the factory. Gof figure!!! At the same visit they also had to replace the serpentine belt since a quarter size chunk of rubber was missing.
Question to wjt:
What colour was the MERCON V? Was it dark purple? Could you check your owners manuel/service manuel for me regarding the change interval of the tranny fluid? My Canadian service bulletin is very generic and covers all Ford vehicles and my owners manuel just refers to this service bulletin.
Question for Lariat1:
What filter are you talkint about? Tranny or oil filter? I checked around already, since I plan on putting synthetic oil in after the first change and decided to by the Ford original. It is only can$0.80 more than a good brand name filter. Furthermore, I have proof for Ford, that I used the right or recommended part in case of a warrenty claim. I heard that Ford can be very thight when it comes to that. Any expiriences one your part regarding warrenty?

------------------
XL Appearance Group (Polished alloys, 40/60 bench, colour-keyed bodyside mouldings)
Tilt & Cruise

Old 10-25-1999, 10:17 PM
Hi guys!
Thanks for the replies. I can relate to your story wjt. First thing I did after getting my truck three weeks ago was checking all fluids (bad previous experience). After the frist week I noticed a trail of break fluid coming from the break fluid reservior cap. I brought the truck in and they had to take some fluid out of the reservoir because it was overfilled at the factory. Gof figure!!! At the same visit they also had to replace the serpentine belt since a quarter size chunk of rubber was missing.
Question to wjt:
What colour was the MERCON V? Was it dark purple? Could you check your owners manuel/service manuel for me regarding the change interval of the tranny fluid? My Canadian service bulletin is very generic and covers all Ford vehicles and my owners manuel just refers to this service bulletin.
Question for Lariat1:
What filter are you talkint about? Tranny or oil filter? I checked around already, since I plan on putting synthetic oil in after the first change and decided to by the Ford original. It is only can$0.80 more than a good brand name filter. Furthermore, I have proof for Ford, that I used the right or recommended part in case of a warrenty claim. I heard that Ford can be very thight when it comes to that. Any expiriences one your part regarding warrenty?

------------------
Tilt & Cruise

Old 10-26-1999, 09:16 PM
wjt
Talking

6869; Apologize for not replying earlier, was attending a funeral...the color of the Mercon V was darker than tranny fluid that I have normally used in the past. Viscosity appears to be the same though, I'll check out the trans oil change periods when I get into my truck tomorrow and will post a reply from work.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, dark blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, KC Hilites, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Gibson side swept exhaust, bedliner, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, a mild developing case of "piston slap", but that's OK, Big Blue says that he'll hang in there for a while...

Old 10-27-1999, 09:20 AM
wjt
Talking

6869: According to my 1999 Scheduled Maintenance guide, it states that at 30,000; "change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with AX45, AX4N, 4R70W, 4R100. Consult your dealer for your particular requirements". I am a little confused because within that maintenance interval, it also states that you should inspect the trans fluid. It states this again at 60,000 too. Matter of fact, at every 30K increments, it appears that the tranny fluid is to be replaced. ....so much for the percieved benifits of Mercon V as a synthetic, I guess.....

------------------

Old 10-27-1999, 07:58 PM
Thanks wjt! I really appreciate the effort. It is kind of strange, that Ford can't or won't come up with the same service life as GM. My 1995 GMC Sierra only has to have the tranny fluid changed at 80000km(50000mi)if you are using the truck in server service such as constant towing, stop-and-go, only short distance driving. Other than that it does not have to be exchanged at all. I have 78000km on it now and the fluid (DEXRON III)looks and smells like new!

------------------
Tilt & Cruise

Old 12-01-1999, 07:52 PM
I went to the dealership today to check on trans fluid. The parts guys said that mercon V is not a synthetic, it is a different kind of fluid. They looked up the synthetic fluid and it was $14.91 a quart plus tax. Mercon/Dextron III was $2.19, and Mercon V was $3.31, plus tax.

6869, In my mothers expedition's owners manual for the E40d it says that you never have to change the fluid.

Old 12-01-1999, 11:22 PM
Thanks Fort_Tough1!
Nice to see that you thought of letting me know.
Regards
Chris Raith

------------------
Tilt & Cruise

Old 12-06-1999, 11:33 AM
I talked to another dealership and they said Mercon V is a syn. blend. I bought AAMCO brand Mercon V at Auto Zone. Any one have any experience with this brand

Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM
hey, does anyone know what would happen if you put the new mercon v in an older truck (1995 f250 w/351) that just say that it requires mercon atf? Its about time for me to be changing my fluid and i cant find anyone who sells the older mercon atf....i guess they stopped making it or something?? help?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the difference between MERCON & MERCON V?