hard shift on the 2 -3

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hard shift on the 2 -3

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have the transgo shift kit in and its set on the normal setting I figure. I installed everything and only had to drill one hole alittle bigger. When driving all the shifts are much better, thats good, but when it hits the 2-3 shift it shifts really hard, Kinda alittle too snappy. I like the hard shifts when I punch it , but when I'm just going slow it's becoming a b!tch. OK so my question is how can I fix this? Do I put the stock parts back in (the parts for the 2-3 shift) or I'm I just SOL! Any help on this topic would be great. Thanks

Old 08-28-2002, 02:13 AM
Hi,
So no one has this problem or has ever heard of it, any help here would be great,

Old 08-28-2002, 03:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For waht it's worth, I doubt you're hurting anything, but when you drilled a hole in the case you pretty much became comitted.
On a 4R100, it's much more precise (and reversable) to control shift duration with the accumulator than with the main control. No drilling.

G

Old 08-28-2002, 07:46 AM
you could get a new VB i suppose. i just got one from PA and i will be installing it soon. illl let you know how it goes. you might be able to soften the shift up with by changeing the springs. but it is probably the seperator. I went with a whole new VB this time, so when i sell the truck or when i dont want the shift kit anmore i can just replace the stock VB. The VB from PA also came with new springs for the 1-2 accumulator and a new spring for the 2-3. ill keep you posted.

-steve

Old 08-28-2002, 08:11 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually have harder 1-2 shifts then 2-3 with my Transgo kit.
I went with a setting between 1 and 2 by using my own drill bit. I also have the Superchip.
Did you try calling Transgo?? The support staff were very good at helping me.
Also, do you have the Superchip? If so try pulling it out to see if it makes a difference.
Good luck...

Old 08-30-2002, 12:39 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I'll try calling transgo and see what they say!!
Also let me know how the vb turns out. Thanks again

Old 08-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Question

I am wondering which tranny you have and which kit from TransGo you used? You have it set on the "normal setting , you think"?

In the 4R70W kits some times TrasnGo has you leave out a (1) check ball. This provides a large increase in oil flow and a firm 2-3 shift all the time.

Re-install the check if this applies to your trans/truck.

There is a hole you can drill out some to increase the flow for the 2-3 shift. I would need to provide a picture of the separator plate to show the hole to drill.

When drilling holes larger remember that opening up a hole by 1/3 will double the flow through the hole if the pressure and volume remains the same behind the hole.

An example is a hole that is .090 ... open it up by 1/3 to .120 in size and you have doubled the oil flow through it. A trans engineer at GM told me this years ago.

Last edited by Crosley; 08-30-2002 at 11:50 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2002, 12:37 AM
My 4R100 after Transgo has a snappier 2-3 than 1-2 as well. I could have left the seperator plate alone before the last drill and they might be amout the same but it's not that bad, just "snappier".

Quick Reply: hard shift on the 2 -3