Trans fluid additive...is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fluid additive...is it safe?

I recently added LubeGuard ATF Protectant to my trans fluid upon the recommendation of a long time engine rebuilder. It seems to have stopped the recurrent trans shudder that I and many of us are plagued by. Now I read in LubeGuards info about 2 other additives:

#1) "M-V ATF Supplement" ... said to "Enhance Dexron / Mercon ATF to perform like Mercon V and tighten the shift cycle without loosing friction."

#2) "Highly Friction Modified ATF Supplement" ... says it "converts Dexron / Mercon ATF into a highly friction modified ATF such as Honda Genuine, Mopar ATF+3..."

Are either of these safe to add to the transmission fluid to improve its performance?

Will they make a noticable difference or can they harm the transmission by turning the fluid into something that it shouldn't be?

Can I add too much of or too many additives to a transmission and degrade its performance or hurt the trans? (I only added the recommended amount with the ATF Protectant)

I'm currently runnning Dexron III (Mercon equivilent) in it right now.

Sorry so long...Thanks in advance...Scott

Old 08-15-2002, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't say if it will hurt or hinder. But, I think it would have been better to change as much of the fluid as possible with a top quality Mercon V first. Then if you still sense a problem with the tranny seek a second pro's opinion.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid additive...is it safe?