What warranty to get? (5-speed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What warranty to get? (5-speed)

2001 4x4 5-speed with 25,000 mi. I owe about $14,000 for 3 years. I'm considering a 6 yr. 75,000 mi. Ford ESP, but I don't know which one I want, basic, extra, or premium. There really isn't that much of a difference between the basic and extra as far as coverage. It's about the same for the premium, but it adds all the emission stuff. I'm mainly concerned with my engine and 5-speed tranny / clutch. It's really jerky and grinds a lot, but no one wants to warranty it for me. I love this truck and will probably keep it till around 75,000 mi, where I usually trade at or before 30,000 mi. I called Gene Louder and got 6 prices. From a 5 / 60 basic to a 6 / 75 premium it's between $650 and $1,000 for my truck. I plan on re-financing it at a lower rate, with the extra cash for the warranty. Should just about break even.

However, I'm not sure what all I am covered for in each warranty. I've checked the comparison charts, but it doesn't really tell me all that much. What all is covered on my tranny / engine with each warranty? Any one you recommend over the others for any particular reason? Anything special I should know about them that's not obvious in the comparison chart? I see where the exterior isn't covered, nor is the 5-speed disk. I worry because the way my tranny is acting now, and I had the head gasket leak at 10,000 mi. I also worry about the front end componets. Guess I'm just looking for advice on which warrenty and what term. Should I push it to 100,000 mi. or do most problems occur within the first 60K - 75K mi.? Thanks!!!

-AR

Last edited by Jackal; 07-31-2002 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jackel,

This is a pretty comprehensive coverage chart and it clearly states that all internal Transmission parts are covered with any one of the levels

http://www.fordesp.com/coverage_chart.asp

Quick Reply: What warranty to get? (5-speed)