4r70w fluid interval changes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4r70w fluid interval changes...

hey guys,

quick question:

i was just looking through my owner's manual trying to figure out when the 4r70w tranny in my s-crew should have the fluid changed. in the scheduled maintenance guide that i received with the truck, it never mentions the 4r70w as needing a fluid change in the normal schedule. instead it mentions the 4r100 and other trannies as needing a fluid change every 30k miles. does the 4r70w's mercon V fluid not need changing? in the special operating conditons section it doesn't specify trannies and just says change the fluid every 30k miles.

very interesting. i suppose i'll just change the fluid every 30k, but i am wondering why the 4r70w is not mentioned at all in the normal maintenance section...

Old 04-08-2002, 11:11 PM
That's funny.

In my '98 manual, it states to change the ATF in your tranny every 30K, unless you have the AODE. I have the 4R70W and changed it at the first 30K. Haven't hit the second 30 yet.

It's a lot cheaper to change the fluid and do preventative maintenance than it is to fix a repair!

Old 04-08-2002, 11:25 PM
thanks kelly,

i'm wondering if ford just goofed up the manual, or if the mercon V is one of those never-needs-changing type of tranny fluids if your vehicle is operated under "normal" conditions. hummm....

Old 04-08-2002, 11:41 PM
the 4R70W tranny is basically a revamped AOD and still needs the regular 30k interval fluid change. When they took the AOD and incorporated a new 'hard wire' harness and shift solenoids it kinda through a lot of people for a loop. By just looking at the AODE and the 4R70W tranny you couldn't hardly tell them apart, as matter of fact if you buy a special aftermarket tranny manual for the 4R70W it is going to be an AODE manual. So saying all of that, the AODE requires a fluid change at 30k, and likewise the 4R70W takes the same interval. Seeing that the AOD and the 4R70W are still mechanically the same tranny. Just make sure that you buy Mercon V fluid (or whatever the dipstick is telling you to use).

Quick Reply: 4r70w fluid interval changes...