F-150 Towing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 Towing Problems

Hello from a new user here !!!

I have a 1997 F-150 2wd with a manual 5sp. transmission...I know, I know, bad choice!! However, when I bought the truck, I didn't know I would try to be towing with this truck.......

Anyway, with the manual transmission, towing capacity is limited to 2000 pounds, but the auto has towing capacities to 4000 or 5000 pounds.

Is a tranny change possible? Is the weak link the tranny or the clutch? Are upgrades possible for either one? I'm very cautious about changing the tranny to auto for fear of having to get into the engine electronics.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.....

Old 04-04-2002, 12:47 PM
yes it's possible. My friend converted his automatic tranny in his studebaker to a manual. But, it's not as simple as just swapping them out. Lots of things can go wrong. The best thing to do is just trade in what you have not and get one with an auto.

Old 04-04-2002, 02:10 PM
I agree. The difference on trade would be - what? a couple grand? I wouldn't want to take on this engineering project unless I absolutely knew what I was doing and had a full parts list.

If you do trade for an auto, you might want to make sure it had the towing package installed at the factory. That way you get the heavy duty cooling package, upgraded alternator, etc which would give you peace of mind.

Old 04-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the advise. I think I knew, deep down, this what I had to do, but I was just curious that no one else had discovered a magic solution to the problem.

So, now I have to get the gumption to sell this truck, which I love, for another, which can tow.

Hmmmm.....I wonder if I can make a deal for a F-250 with a PowerStroke Diesel......

Again, many thanks.

Quick Reply: F-150 Towing Problems