Groan/Knocking under moderate acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Groan/Knocking under moderate acceleration?

I purchased a 2000 Expedition 4x4, 5.4l, trans code "E" a few months ago at 20k miles. I have put 4000 miles on since and have noticed a humming/groaning noise that seems to be getting louder. It is mostly heard under light to moderate acceleration and in gears 1 or 2. I can always hear it when accelerating slowly up a driveway or hill. The strange thing is that I can feel it through the floor and gas pedal almost more than I can actually "hear" it.

Also, at highway speeds, there is a substantial humming noise when under light acceleration, but not while coasting. It also feels like its coming through the floor.

Then engine noise always seems smooth, and RPMs are never erratic. What kind of drivetrain problems could cause this? I need to go to the dealer, but want to be informed before they tell me to spend big $$$ on a fluid change or something.

Old 02-11-2002, 09:17 PM
I have a 2000 f-150,4.6,4x4 orp with the same thing.Hopefully someone may have an answer.I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Old 02-16-2002, 03:39 AM
Good news from Ford today. They drove my 2000 Expedition 5.4 4x4 and were able to verify the shudder/chatter problem that I was feeling through the floor while accelerating. They said they performed some sort of program update to the torque convertor or transfer case. Whatever they did, it worked!

Can someone familiar with Ford-anese translate this jargon from my work slip?

"FOUND SSM 15319 FOR HIGH SPEED VIRBATION AND VIBRATION ON ACCEL PERFORM SSM CHANGE FLUID AND CHECK PIDS MONITOR REPROGRAMMED GEM ROAD TEST OK"

Old 02-16-2002, 01:03 PM
2kExpi:

I have the same symptom in my 2001 SuperCrew...a groaning, whining noise from the trans (4R70W). I've posted the symptom before, but no one on the board here seems to know what this problem could be. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge of this will reply.

Quick Reply: Groan/Knocking under moderate acceleration?