Need Manual Tranny maintenance how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Manual Tranny maintenance how-to?

I have 18,000 mi. on my 5 speed and I'm fed-up. The damned thing is a little too jerky for me, and I hate the grinding from 1-2 and 2-3. I assume it would help things if I drained and re-filed with a better lube. I'd really appreciate a complete how-to so I know what to expect, as I haven't done this since I was 13. When is this service recommended anyway? Do I replace filter? How do I drain? What tranny fluid should I use? Thanks!!!

-AR

Old 02-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Get a manual.

Pretty easy. There are 2 plugs -- Drain and fill. Remove the fill first! That way you know you can fill the tranny back up. Then remove the drain plug. Once it is done draining, replace the drain plug. You will need a pump to get the fluid into the tranny. Fill until it flows out of the top hole, about 3 quarts.

I run amsoil synthetic ATF and it works great for me.

Old 02-05-2002, 11:40 PM
Question Huh?

That's it? That's all their is to it? Cool!!! Should I notice any difference? So 3 qts. lubes the clutch and tranny, etc? Sorry, not too fimilar with transmissions obviously. I'm mainly concerned with the grinding...

-AR

Old 02-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Thumbs up Jackal-

That's it, very simple; no gasket, no filter. The fluid lubes the manual transmission not the clutch; the clutch is dry and separate. Happy Truckin' !!

Old 02-06-2002, 08:07 PM
I switched to Amsoil tranny fluid in my 5sp manual tranny..
I didn't notice any difference in shifting.. Still as clunky as when it was new.. However my tranny has never had any grinding at all, and it just turned 36k miles.

If your is grinding, then I would either suspect the clutch is not dis-enguaging all the way or you have a bad synchro in the tranny itself or your letting the clutch out too soon during the shift.

If I were you, I'd have the dealer have another look at it.. (grinding is not normal).

Old 02-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Thumbs up ...

Thanks guys!!!

-AR

Quick Reply: Need Manual Tranny maintenance how-to?