4r70w Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 4r70w Shift Kit

JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I INSTALLED THE TRANSGO SHIFT KIT YESTERDAY WHOOPEE!, SERIOSLY THOUGH IT WASN'T AS HARD AS I THOUGHT,I NEVER OPENED A TRANNY BEFORE, SO I WAS NERVOUS,BUT I WATCHED THE VIDEO ABOUT FOUR TIMES, GOT CONFIDENT GRABBED THE INSTRUCTIONS,AND ON TOP OF THE PAGE IN BOLD LETTERS IT SAID."DO NOT FOLLOW VIDEO", JUST GREAT? ANYWAY TOOK THE PLUNGE,3 HOURS LATER, BAM ON THE ROAD BANGING GEARS! ONE ADVANTAGE I HAD WAS I WORK ON A NAVAL BASE, DOD, SO I GET TO USE THE AUTO SHOP, I USED THE LIFT,3.00 AN HOUR, NOT A BAD DEAL, PLUS THEY HAVE OIL DISPOSEL AND TOOLS IF YOUR SHORT A WRENCH OR TWO , AND YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A HELPING HAND ,EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING IN COMMON, WE ALL LIKE ,OR NEED TO WORK ON ARE VEHICLES. WELL GOTTA GO DRIVE THE KIDS TO LITTLE LEAGUE PRACTICE, HOPE THEY ENJOY THE RIDE,I KNOW I WILL!

Last edited by KENSTOWELL; 02-02-2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS. YOU'L LOVE IT. Ok, I'll stop yelling now.

It really isn't that hard and you really got luckly having a lift. Mine was about 4 hours and that included getting my Expy up on 4 jack stands. Position, reposition until I felt comfortable. The clean up was the 2nd most time consuming!

Old 02-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Talking

thats another thing great about the auto shop, they had everthing you need for cleanup, brooms, absorbant, and disposal,
one thing i noticed is 2 to 3 seems to hit harder than 1 to 2 , i might have to drop the vb and drill the #2 hole bigger ,anyone else with the 4r70w agree? i went for the 3/32 drill bit ,hot rod with stock converter

Old 02-03-2002, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations KENSTOWELL, I bought my Transgo kit months ago but have yet to install it because of the cold weather. Your results are really encouraging though. What kind of fluid did you use in your tranny??

How's Sailortown? I have'nt been there in years. I have fond memories of Coronado, the yacht club, the Star of India and some fun times in Tiajuana.........you know, before the wife and kids.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out if you decide to drill out the 1-2 shift hole in the separator plate any larger. Oh BTW, From what I've read here it seems that the 4R70W responds to the Transgo kit with better results than it does for the the larger 4R100 trans.

Old 02-03-2002, 08:29 PM
Thumbs up

as is normal in san diego ,it's SUNNY, anyway my tranny dipstick specify's mercon five, but ive heard some take mercon,

GO PATRIOTS, I WANT AN UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2002, 11:16 PM
KENSTOWELL

From my experiance I'd say wait on the 1-2. Drive it a couple hundred miles and see what it does. I too kept wanting to go bigger with the 1-2 and ended up beyond what does any good. After a couple hundred miles everything adjusted and I'm glad I didn't do anything more drastic.

You probably won't get what you're probably thinking you will. It's electronicly controled and that has a lot to do with it. I realized that after ridning in my bro-in-laws latest acquisition in his classic hot rod collecting. A '70 Chevell siting with about 480hp and a built TH400 that will slam every gear at just about any throttle position or speed. Ours wil still adjust as we drive and you'll notice nice comfortable shifts and hard shifts depending on how you're driving.

Old 02-04-2002, 02:08 PM
I installed mine with the "Hot Rod with Stock Torque Coverter" Option, you can really feel the clutch grab when it engages, its almost as good as 1-2 shift at 2800-3000 rpms. I like it!

Old 02-04-2002, 09:05 PM
This sounds neat,now what do you get for all that work,does it shift better.Is there a reason you guy's installed them.I would appreciate a little information on them.Since they don't have the search engine anymore I can't look it up.My transmission shifts sloopy and shimmys from 3rd. to 4th..I hope in 2004 when they have there make over they do a bettet job with there tranny.How much does it cost,and how much do you think it would be if a shop put it in.SanDiego is second to none when it comes to weather and plain fun,I was stationed at Eltora and Camp Pendelton.Now I live in hot SouthFlorida.

"JOE"

Last edited by Joe Styles; 02-04-2002 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:43 AM
AB
Yes,
I have some questions too...
I read that you can go on first up to 3500 rpms at half-throttle and to 5000 at full if you have the kit installed...
Can you REALLY do this?
What is MPG when you do? What is MPG at regular driving? Any changes?
Thanks...

Old 02-08-2002, 11:47 AM
o.k. its been a week i love the fact that there is no lag between shifts you actually jump forward(at least it feels that way) my 1-2 shift could be a little firmer, someone mentioned i should give it time, what if i disc. the battery would that help, the 2-3 shift is awsome, almost lost it though yesterday, was wot and the 2-3 shift hit the same time i went over an old puddle, talk about fast heart rate!!!!!! just a little sideways
for anyone out there who hasn't done this hopup , it's a must do and i say it's a easy job just take your time ,and don't get in a hurry and you will be fine, the only problem is i can't keep my foot out of it! i wanted to stay with 87 gas so this has been the best addon so far in my opinion!

Quick Reply: 4r70w Shift Kit