help me figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me figure this out

i have an 89 f-150 with a 302 and a 5 speed manual tranny. for the past week, the tranny has started making a ckicking noise that varies with the rpm's. the higher the rpm's, the faster it clicks. it has the noise whether the clutch is engaged or not. anyone have any ideas what it could be? thanks a lot!

Old 11-22-2001, 09:56 AM
It almost sounds like something stuck in one of your tires (nail, rock, etc...). I had problem similar to that but it was resolved when they rotated my tires.

You might also look underneath and see if there is anything that got stuck or wrapped around the driveshaft.

I'm a lot of help huh? :-)

BTW: See ya in the Rose Bowl

HuskerMac
GO HUSKERS!!!

Old 11-22-2001, 12:37 PM
I have heard that it could be the torque converter.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:44 PM
Uhhh.....It's a 5-speed, there is no torque convertor.....

I would look for a leaky exhaust manifold....... does it make the clicking noise when you are driving or just revving the engine. It may also be a noisy lifter......

Old 11-22-2001, 02:50 PM
i parked the truck and let it idle and looked inder it. its coming from where the tranny and engine meet. it makes the noise all the time, whether im driving, revving, or just idling. i drove it around today and it got louder the more i drove it, then it went away, then it came back again. could it be the clutch? my clutch is starting to slip just a little bit and im planning on replacing it soon, but not just yet (for $$$ reasons). in the pre-97 forum, they told me it cant be the tranny because the tranny moves with the rearend, and the noise is consistent with the rpms, so it might be the engine. they also agree that it might be an exhaust leak. im gonna check it out tomorrow, ill get back to you guys. any other ideas? thanks for the input and happy thanksgiving...

ps. go CANES!

Last edited by Donate54; 11-22-2001 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:37 PM
It could be the rear of one of the exhaust manifolds leaking.....

Old 11-22-2001, 04:55 PM
well i had a couple of mechanic friend sof mine come over here and take a lok at it. they all told me the same thing, its the lifters. we looked for exhaust leaks but couldnt find any. so looks like i need new lifters. thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: help me figure this out