Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission question

I recently purchased a 1998 F-150 Lariat. The truck has a 5.4 V8 and a tow package. The previous owner used the truck for commuting and highway travel. The truck was not used for towing.

I am driving the truck daily to and from work. I drive and accelerate slowly. The transmission (an automatic w/overdrive) seems shift quite a bit up and down and some times, when accelerating, seems to hang up between 2nd and 3rd gears, although there is no interruption in the forward drive motion. The truck actually seems to shift better when I accelerate faster.

The truck drives fine, it just seems to shift soft on slow acceleration and often. Anytime I accelerate, there is no hesitation or slippage noted. Is this normal, or is it a prelude of problems to come?

Last edited by TAMPAbOY; 10-31-2001 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:01 PM
How many miles does it have? You probably just need to change trans. fluid.

Old 10-31-2001, 11:22 PM
transmission shifting

Hey TAMPAbOY

Ford sets up all there transmissions to shift very soft, this is not good for the transmission, this causes excess heat and wear in the transmission. The best thing you can do to help your transmission is install a shift kit or get a superchip. I have both on my truck and this greatly improved the shifting, and both of these modifications will help your transmission live a long life.

I hope some of this information helps you out.

Larry.

Quick Reply: Transmission question