Reverse loses engagement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:15 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reverse loses engagement

Hi all,

I still have my F150 since starting on this forum, and time is flying.

So my truck now has 264k miles and I'm have signs of some trans trouble.

It has lost engagement 3 times in the last month, but only in reverse.

The truck has to be cold along with having cold weather, and backing up on a slight incline ( Rear being higher than the front).

This morning at 32 degrees it shifted fine in reverse in the garage ( no shift delay) but about 90 feet down the drive it just stopped at a slight incline going out to the road-way ( my drive way is lower than the street). It was fast idling down the drive but stopped at the road and I gave it gas and the tach reved to 1200 but no movement at all. I put it in drive and it went forward and tried again to duplicate the problem it but it stayed in reverse just fine.

The 2 other times were backing up to a job-site after the truck sat for 8 hours in the parking lot - meaning a cold start and with freezing weather again. When backing up it lost engagement on an incline where the back is sitting higher than the front. I reved it to 1500 and it " banged" and i then started moving.

So it seems there are 2 conditions: cold weather start and an incline.

Is this a valve body problem or something worse?

Thanks

MLD

P.S. fluid is at the right level.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 PM
drop the pan and the valve body and check the reverse servo piston. If the piston is OK, you have a worn/broken reverse band or a slipping reverse clutch.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:18 PM
MLD
Thanks for the reply.

Funny thing, it never acted up again after this thread. You could pull a train in reverse when it had engagement, too.

Long time ago I had a similar thing going on with 1st gear engagement, with about only 7k miles on it, where it lost everything going around a corner. It just went into neutral it seemed and came back to life, but only this onetime - go figure.

So recently I sold it for 1500 after I bought a new '18 F150.

Quick Reply: Reverse loses engagement