2nd gear from a stop??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2nd gear from a stop??

I noticed that my truck starts off in second gear from a standing stop most of the time .

Is there a reason why it would'nt startout in first as expected?

Would a chip or shift kit make the trranny start out in first gear?

I hope to eventually improve the performance of my truck to the point where I can chirp the tires on the shifts and doubt that I can do so starting off in second gear.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Old 09-12-2001, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... LE PEW : When it starts off in 2ND gear are you at a COMPLETE stop? Or are you just moving slightly when you get back on the throttle? If I come to a rolling stop in my truck and then only press the throttle about 1/4 way, my truck will start off in 2nd. If I do the same thing but stomp on it, it will downshift to 1st gear and take off. FORD is one of the only car makers that if you put the gear shifter in 2ND gear, it will start off in 2ND gear no matter what throttle position. A lot of people have name this "THE WINTER GEAR" over the years. It does help out in acceleratin in slippery conditions. Most other vehicles will go through 1ST gear and then go no further than 2ND gear when the GEAR selector is in 2ND gear. Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-12-2001, 08:57 PM
Tire chirp?

Thanks for the speedy reply Neal. It makes a lot of sense bcuz driving in snow with a posi is exciting enuff!

Even though you have the 5.4 I'm guessing you're a good person to ask what it would take to get my 4.6/auto to give me a little/big chirp on upshifts?? Will a shift kit alone do the trick?? I'm trying to hold off on the chip till I'm done with most of the other mods I intend to do. Thanx in advance.

BTW, I have no problems whatsoever with long sigs

Old 09-13-2001, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Me 2, Le Pew...

I have the 5.4L... My truck seems to start off in second gear... From W/O/T, at a stand still. At other times, it spins the tires, and feels like a Rocket, starting in first gear.

I have wondered, if the TPS on the new Ford Trucks, are having alot of problems? Maybe, there is a certain company making them, with a little different tolerance level, than say from another manufacture?

Being in the Aircraft business, and dealing with Hi-Tech Computers, I have seen this occur frequently.

R1968

P.S. Hey Neal,
My '94 Chevy C1500 would do the same thing. Put it in second, and it will start off in second only. Start off in first, punch it, and it will wind up really tight, then shift into second. Found this out one time while racing a friend. Scared me at first, thought I Blew my tranny...

Later Guys...

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 09-13-2001 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:08 PM
A looong time ago, I had a '79 Z28. I could start off in first and it would shift into second if I wound it up. However, what I would do, and at the time was bone stock except true dual exhaust, would shift it up to 2nd before it was ready to shift, then as it shifted into 2nd, I would pop it into 3rd. I'm not sure what it did, but by popping it into 3rd as it shifted into 2nd, I would bark the tires hard and ****** my neck into the seat. With practice, I could do it a cruising speeds, without having to go WOT.

It was amazing.......and fun!

Old 09-13-2001, 08:24 PM
Thanx for all the replies, I really appreciate all your help and advice.
I'm afraid I've already talked myself into getting a shift kit and trans cooler for my truck. I'm considering a Transgo with the possible addition of a sonnex valve. Have to do more research bcuz i do a lot of hiway driving and don't wanna fry my O/D gear like a certain horsepower freak that shall remain nameless at this time

Old 09-13-2001, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... LE PEW : I would suggest you go with the TRANSGO shift kit 1ST, but if you go with the BAUMANN ENGINEERING , then make sure you do the optional OVERDRIVE mod. This is a MUST if you go over stage "3". If you have more than 40,000KMS on your truck then definately go with the two SONNAX valves like I did.

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2001, 11:03 PM
Smile

Thanks for the advice Neal. My truck has 19,000 mls. on it but i'm undecide as to what my settings would be if I chose the Bauman kit so the Sonnax valve is a maybe.

I was leaning towards the transgo kit b/c most people here seemed happy with theirs and it comes with an instructional video tape to boot! Also, I thought it would work well with a chip if and when I got one in the future.

Anyone familiar with both kits? I was curious to know if the Sonnax valve is compatible with other kits made for my tranny.

Does the transgo kit have any mods to improve on the ovrdrive gear?

I really like the stock looks of factory trans coolers but how well do they work compared to aftermarket stuff?

Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2001, 03:09 PM
From a stand still, it aint second gear...I dont think. Its the posi-traction thats doing that, probably pumpin the ABS to prevent tire spinning.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear from a stop??