2011 6r80 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 6r80 overheating

I've got a 2011 5.0 with the 6r80. after a trans flush at 60,000 miles done by the dealer. I noticed my trans temp going up around 200F and just cruising at 75mph on the highway I've seen it go up to 215F not towing or hauling anything. I know this can't be normal. What could cause my transmission to reach these temps?And yes it has the towing package with the tens cooler in front of radiator.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.coyote
I've got a 2011 5.0 with the 6r80. after a trans flush at 60,000 miles done by the dealer. I noticed my trans temp going up around 200F and just cruising at 75mph on the highway I've seen it go up to 215F not towing or hauling anything. I know this can't be normal. What could cause my transmission to reach these temps?And yes it has the towing package with the tens cooler in front of radiator.
Hey Mr.coyote,

I'm Todd, and I'm filling in for Crystal, who is on vacation. Was the trans flush completed recently by your Ford Dealer?

Todd

Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Hey Todd, it was completed about a month ago, but I just now noticed the extreme temps.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:30 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
The cooler is thermostatically controlled, and the normal operating temperature of the 6R80 with Mercon LV fluid is 195 to 220. You are fine.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.coyote
Hey Todd, it was completed about a month ago, but I just now noticed the extreme temps.
Thanks for letting me know, Mr.coyote. Have you made an appointment with your Ford Dealer? I recommend doing so; you may locate one here.

Once you've made an appointment, send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and the dealer's name.

Thanks,

Todd

Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 AM
@ Ford Service: 6r80 filter/fluid change...shift problems

I have a 2011 f150 5.0L w/6r80 tranny that just had filter/fluid changed at 82k miles. History: @32K miles, torque converter seal was replaced (under warranty after tow/haul button was bumped and turned haul mode off while towing, tranny has shifted well since then but thought it best to change fluid out after fair amount of towing and off road work elk hunting over last few years. New filter (ford) and Mercon LV used by shop. Picked up just before shop closed and within 5mins of leaving shop notice significant slippage and hard shifting (up & down). Returned to shop, but everyone had left. Returned truck next day and tech removed 1-1.5pints of fluid @ operating temperature due to overfill at change out. Took truck home. Next morning while cold noted significantly hard shifting, shudder, and/or slippage, particularly 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. Informed shop, returned truck again. Electronics tested/passed. Picked up truck today and was told that seals were likely blown or "clutch packs"(?) bad. Question: did the overfill cause this damage? I find it hard to believe that things were fine before fluid/filter change at 82K and now looking at a rebuild of $4500 due to filter/fluid service! Comments appreciated.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 AM
F150 Transmission cooler enhancement

I have a 2011 Lariat with the factory "tow package". Not long after I got it, while driving up steep Coast Range logging roads, I noticed that the transmission temp would keep climbing while driving up steep roads. I wasn't towing anything, so I figured the tranny temp shouldn't keep rising. I finally figured out how to install a second cooler in series with the "heavy duty" tow package by simply turning the original upside down, and the hose nipples lined up perfectly. The effect was pretty dramatic, and when the tranny hits the thermostat 192 degrees, is seldom climbs more than a couple of degrees higher. Cost was around $100, but well worth it.

Last edited by Backroad; 06-26-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-31-2019, 10:03 PM
I was wondering and I know this is an older post but I am here in the middle of winter and quite possibly the coldest time of the year and my engine coolant temps are about 220 degrees. The water pumps was replaced before I bought the truck, it has started to blow cooler air when I would come to idle so I replaced the thermostat thinking that it was stuck open ever since then my temp gauge on my dash would get up to about 48% and stop and go no further, no longer having the blowing cooler air problem, however, now after driving around for awhile in about 16 degree weather my rad fans kick on and I have confirmed in forscan that my coolant temps are reading 225 all the while my temp gauge is still at 48% where it normal is 50% or halfway up of course. I am just concerned that my truck isnt cooling itself good, I tried to burp the air out and I got a new rad basin cap still nothing, I am just concerned what its going to do when its about 105 degrees outside I guess my loud fans will run constantly then and I obviously dont want that.

Any help advice?

Forgot to mention that I have a 2012 ford f150 xlt with the 5.0 V8

Last edited by Woodrow2929; 01-31-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 01-31-2019, 10:29 PM
Too Hot?

Have you checked for radiator flow...it sounds like not enough radiator fluid is flowing to cool your engine...Maybe a radiator flush?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Backroad
Have you checked for radiator flow...it sounds like not enough radiator fluid is flowing to cool your engine...Maybe a radiator flush?
yes at least I think I checked it correctly.... it got up to the 48% and the upper radiator hose was hot and firm but of course that should mean that the thermostat had opened up because when engine was cold it wasn’t firm nor hot, I did also try to burp the system and that didn’t do anything.
fluid is where it’s suppose to be I guess it’s actually above the “cold fill” on the reservoir.
i guess a radiator flush and an oem thermostat will be the fix I suppose and have a garage properly burp the system.

Quick Reply: 2011 6r80 overheating