v10 f150 swap wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v10 f150 swap wiring problem

I have just completed a v10 swap on a 2002 f150. The engine and trans came out of a 2002 superduty but must have been a old stock ford thing because i later learned the engine and trans are 98-99. So it appears i am dealing with a e4od. I have everything working on the truck except speedo/odo, and cruise control. The trans shifts thru all the gears and the converter seems to lock up like it should but the shifts are quite harsh. The od light on the shifter is not flashing so i dont think i have a trans code, the light does work when you hit the button to turn od off and it does take it out of od. So i am looking for any info on the vehicle speed sensor wiring, this tranny did not have any speed sensors on it, it was a 2wd trans and i had it converted to 4wd so i do have a speed sensor on the adapter between the trans and tcase that i am using, does this setup use the rearend speed sensor or a output shaft speed sensor or both? I have had the speed sensor in the adapter hooked up too the speed sensor pin on the computer and the output shaft speed sensor pin on the computer and did notice a slight difference in the timing of the shifts but both were really hard shifts. It seems like every wiring diagram of the computer pinouts i get is a little different, I have the ford wiring manual for a 2002 superduty but since i found out the actual year of the engine i am wondering if i should be looking for a diagram for a 98-99. And i am also wondering if it is even possible to get the f150 speedo to work with the v10 computer?

thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I may be able to help you out in a few weeks. My V10 will be here on Saturday. I'm getting a 2000 model V10 with computer and complete front clip harness. My trans is an E40d and my truck is a 1999. Is your V10 a PI? How did you discover it's a 98-99?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM

Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM
yes that is my build thread. i found out it was a 98-99 when i went to get intake gaskets the 2002 didnt fit, no this motor is not a pi still pissed about that. the guy said the truck was 2002 so im not sure if he was lying or its a wierd ford thing. I have a plan on the vss wiring and i will know if it works this weed just waiting on some parts.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by RUSIII
yes that is my build thread. i found out it was a 98-99 when i went to get intake gaskets the 2002 didnt fit, no this motor is not a pi still pissed about that. the guy said the truck was 2002 so im not sure if he was lying or its a wierd ford thing. I have a plan on the vss wiring and i will know if it works this weed just waiting on some parts.
Bummer on the no PI. I just got the engine in frame last night. Tight fit with AC condenser in place.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
well im happy to say i got everything working today. My plan on the vss worked, speedo and all gauges function, cruise control working, a/c works, trans shifting good now with no trouble codes on scan tool. Im not sure if you will run into these same problems seeing as your truck is a 99. I think they are all different depending on what year truck and what year engine/pcm they are all a little different from year to year.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 AM

I just started wiring yesterday. Nice to know you got it all working!

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM

well im happy to say i got everything working today. My plan on the vss worked, speedo and all gauges function, cruise control working, a/c works, trans shifting good now with no trouble codes on scan tool. Im not sure if you will run into these same problems seeing as your truck is a 99. I think they are all different depending on what year truck and what year engine/pcm they are all a little different from year to year.
I just took it for it's first drive. Speedo works - until it shifts to O/D then the O/D on/Off flashes and the speedo quits and the odometer goes to --------

I know I read about someone who ran into the same thing, but he didn't post the solution.

Any input?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Yea i did see the other guy had the same prob but i dont think he ever got it fixed. I had a different prob, my speedo/odo didnt work at all so i went a totally different route all together to get it to work.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Did the a/c work? I had to do some special wiring there too to get that to work.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Did the a/c work? I had to do some special wiring there too to get that to work.
Sorry I missed this....

I didn't have to do anything special for the A/C - just extend the harness a little.

Quick Reply: v10 f150 swap wiring problem