transfer case replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case replacement?

'03 F150 FX4, i'm getting noise that almost sounds like either a wheel bearing or tire noise, but both the bearings and tires are ok. i took it into firestone and they verified all this, then jacked up the rear, put it into drive, crawled under and listened. he said there was alot of noise coming from the rear of the tranny/transfer case. they don't do tranny work, but the mechanic said if he had to guess it was the transfer case making the noise. i guess it could also be coming from the front diff, but i'm really not sure. what do you guys think?

i'm going to take it into a tranny shop and see what they think, are the big chains like aamco legit, or will they try to bend me over?

also, if the transfer case needs to be replaced, how much should i expect to spend?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Aamco is a crapshoot - it all depends on local management. I think I'd trust a Ford dealer more.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 AM
?transfer case replacement?

If you've taken truck in for check please post results. Have 2007 F150 Super Crew 5.4L and have had truck occassionally making similar noises. Haven't been able to pinpoint where but drives me crazy. When starts making noise I switch to 4H and back to 2WD and seems to remedy for long while.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:15 AM
Aamcos around here are crap.

Quick Reply: transfer case replacement?