Is it slipping or just a ford?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it slipping or just a ford?

I Bought my first F150 3 months ago. As my user name states I'm a converted GM owner. Over the last couple of months I have noticed when traveling about 20 to 30mph and hit the pedel to speed up with traffic the truck will idle up and then drop into gear.

I took it to a machanic and asked about this. He said since the truck has 93,000 miles on it, it may just need to have the trans serviced. I had that done and still have the same issue. The machanic said he did some checking on this and thinks it might be the way the computer calls for the tranny to shift at those speeds.

Since I am not to trusting of machanics I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has had the same issues and/or has any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I have a 1995. With a 5.8. And when im cruising at any speed and really stomp on it itll go nuetral, rev, and shift into gear, very quickly. But when im just driving everythings fine. As long as he didnt see anything wrong with the tranny and didnt see any metal when he changed the fluid id say ur good. Just do what i do and get to know how it shifts and when it shifts and feather the throttle properly to make it smooth.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds normal, there is a lot going on there with an electronic trans. That is why some of us get a programmer, so the trans response is quicker and firmer.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, since this bugs the crap out of me daily, what type of programer do you recommend to help out with this?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM
What year was your previous vehicle? Everything since about 2004 has been "by wire" meaning no mechanical linkages. There was some adjustment for me with my new 2010 coming from my 2001 but it has since grown on me.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Search for "XCAL3 by SCT" in the Chips and Tuner section. We have 3 site sponsors that specialize in tuning our trucks. The throttle lag\delay in shifting is normal and easily corrected with a custom tune. I believe the trucks come tuned that way to meet certain fuel efficiency ratings. If you get some tunes, the overall driving experience in your truck will be night and day. I think the most significant improvement with the tunes is the change in throttle response and transmission shift points.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Has done it with mine since buying brand new in 2007. Just a ford.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
My previous truck was a GMC Z71. I don't remember having any shifting issues with it. I do remember having a lot of electrical problems though. The nightmares!

And thanks for the info on the tuners, I'll check that out.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
yeah, I used to have a 04' GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.0 (the wife's daily driver). That thing was sweet and she ran like a bat outta hell, but I did notice some annoying electrical issues with it. 8 way powered seats turned into only 6 way (sounds so yuppie to say that lol), was always replacing tails lights, side markers. Also has a Trans Am growing up. Car was fast as hell, but had many electrical issues. Most memorable was how the wind shield wipers would not work when it rained!

Good luck with your tuner research. I think you'll be happy with your 07' Ford once you a good custom tune.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I finally picked up a gryphon from PHP. big difference in HP and shifting but still having an issue.
One of the main reasons that I got this programmer was the fact that my tranny was slipping. At about 30mph or so foot off the pedal coasting, I would give gas to pick up with traffic or start back up a hill, the engine would idle up as if it was in neutral and then drop into gear. This seems to have been taken care of with the tuner and the canned tunes on it. Last night when I was trying out my new toy I noticed that problem was gone. After I made the turn and started heading back to the house I throttled it pretty hard and was holding thru the gears. I believe going into 3rd it slipped, idled up then dropped into gear.

I am thinking this might be an issue with the tranny still since this happened.
Any thoughts would be appericiated.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
When the trans was serviced, did he replace the filter and clean the pan or did he just exchange the fluid?
After all is said and done, the drive by wire system never seems to work right. Biggest piece of crap on any modern vehicle. Probably saved $3 a vehicle instead of using a cable.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Cost reduction is not the reason for drive by wire - it's for tighter control of the whole engine management system. I don't like it either, I'm glad mine has a cable.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hematite
When the trans was serviced, did he replace the filter and clean the pan or did he just exchange the fluid?
Yes, it was a complete service. I had it done at a tech school. I spent a good bit of time out there with them while they were doing the service. I however didn't see the inside of the pan. When they pulled it they had it cleaned out and ready before I came out. They said it had some metal on the magnet but not too bad.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my 07 new I had that same problem. I went back to the dealer and they had an up-dated flash for the PCM which took care of the problem. You might want to check with the dealer for the latest computer up-grade program...on a side note, I hope you didn't get custom tunes with the programmer, if you did, they will have to be re-written for the new computer flash

Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 PM
My 08 does the same thing...

Quick Reply: Is it slipping or just a ford?