Tranny out? or the clutch? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny out? or the clutch? or something else?

So heres my problem, i got up early this morning since its the 2nd day of deer season and i go to push my clutch in and the pedal goes down with no pressure and stays down, sometimes it comes back up but there is no pressure at all. It wont go into gear and there isnt anything leaking or that looks like it leaked. The previous day i went in the mountains but nothing to bad that a car couldnt handle, well she did fine up there going through all the trails and she got me home ok with no grinding or popping out of gear. Well after she got me home i parked the rig and didnt start it or anything till this 5:30 am morning and thats where im at now. Clutch pedal goes down with no pressure, tranny didnt grind or pop out, no fluids on the ground, no warning signs in the cab, and wont go into gear now. My truck is a 94 f150 5-speed with the 302 v-8. Any help would be GREAT! This is my DD truck and it needs to get fixed so i can go hunting again!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir. By far the most likely cause is the slave cylinder leaking. Start by bleeding the system and see if it brings the pedal back. Look for traces of oil on the firewall inside the cab where the clutch maser cylinder comes through. Look for oil dripping from the bellhousing.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks, i did notice a small hydrolic spot on the ground but i couldnt see it cause the neighbor had the sprinklers on but after the water dried i could see and i bled it ant put new fluid it and got the pressure back in my pedal but after it ran for a little it just poured out! And its coming from the vented area where the plate and bellhousing meets. Is this the Slave cylinder 100%?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:22 PM
JMC

Yes it is the slave. Unfortunately the tranny must be removed to get the slave out.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Might want to think about a new clutch while the tranny is out.......

Old 10-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok i was reading online and it said to get to the slave the tranny must be dropped. Now in the chiltons manual i have it talks about there being an internal slave and external slave cylinder. Is there only certain years that the slave cylinder is external? What years?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If you have an external slave, it will be obvious. If the hydraulic line from the master cylinder goes into the bellhousing, it's internal. I don't believe that an external slave was EVER used with the M5OD transmission. Internal slave failure is very common across all years, mine blew with less than 65k miles and less than 4 years old.

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by glc
If you have an external slave, it will be obvious. If the hydraulic line from the master cylinder goes into the bellhousing, it's internal. I don't believe that an external slave was EVER used with the M5OD transmission. Internal slave failure is very common across all years, mine blew with less than 65k miles and less than 4 years old.
The bigger V8s 460 (7.5) had a M5ODHD which was another name for the ZF 5 speed. It used an external slave. Suffice it to say that you are right that his tranny is the M5OD-R2 and it has an internal slave. Regardless the tranny has to be removed.

Quick Reply: Tranny out? or the clutch? or something else?