transmission float

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission float

How far should my truck float when in gear? I was pulling a pontoon boat back from VA around 4 months ago and I heard a bang/clunk 3 different times. This happened at highway speed and always when I was in the process of letting off the gas.

It seems to run fine since and I don't notice any slipping between gears so I've just been keeping an eye on it but it seems to me like I'm getting more float on grades when in gear than I used to. Sometimes it seems even when on very little grade.

Yesterday though I got a little more concerned. Granted I was on a bit of a grade (20-30%) but while in reverse I left off the brake planning to back up a little farther and it coasted forward 6 feet or so about as fast as it would have done in neutral. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but is that normal?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First check the U joints.
Next check the hitch/ball for tightness.
Then make sure you were using the proper size ball.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry jgger....I missed this update somehow. The 2nd two are definitely OK but I can't say on the U joints. Wouldn't even know what to look for. I'll do some searches on it but it's going in for inspection tomorrow so I'm guessing I'm going to find out.

Quick Reply: transmission float