Won't shift to 4x4 mode - In dash switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't shift to 4x4 mode - In dash switch

I have a 2001 F150 SuperCrew. Hopped in the truck the other day. It was snowy so I popped the switch into 4x4 mode, hit the gas and listened as the rear end spun, no 4x4 engagement. Tried it a couple more times, 4x4 high, low, nothing worked. Ideas where to start looking?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did your 4x4 light come on?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When was the last time it worked?

I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but I routinely shift mine into 4hi for a short time while stuck in traffic on the 'freeway' on my commute home from work.... Yes, it's on pavement and yes it's sometimes dry, but I'm moving forward in a straight line and going maybe 20 mph..... I keep it 'locked' in for a mile or so....

I don't go into 4lo as often, but I do use that when I'm backing my travel trailer into it's spot at the house... I have to backup a pretty good incline and jack it into it's final spot... 4lo really helps with keeping the trans temp low and is a lot easier to maneuver..

Anyway, I've been doing this for YEARS and the truck has over 200,000 miles on it and I've never had an issue of it not engaging or all the myths about engaging your 4x4 on dry pavement.....

I've read that most issues with the electronic 4x4 switch not engaging the front end can be vacuum related, solenoid in the T case or the switch itself....

Knowing it the 4x4 lite comes on as well as the 4 low light coming on might help narrow down the scope some.....

Mitch

Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
When was the last time it worked?

I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but I routinely shift mine into 4hi for a short time while stuck in traffic on the 'freeway' on my commute home from work.... Yes, it's on pavement and yes it's sometimes dry, but I'm moving forward in a straight line and going maybe 20 mph..... I keep it 'locked' in for a mile or so....

I don't go into 4lo as often, but I do use that when I'm backing my travel trailer into it's spot at the house... I have to backup a pretty good incline and jack it into it's final spot... 4lo really helps with keeping the trans temp low and is a lot easier to maneuver..

Anyway, I've been doing this for YEARS and the truck has over 200,000 miles on it and I've never had an issue of it not engaging or all the myths about engaging your 4x4 on dry pavement.....

I've read that most issues with the electronic 4x4 switch not engaging the front end can be vacuum related, solenoid in the T case or the switch itself....

Knowing it the 4x4 lite comes on as well as the 4 low light coming on might help narrow down the scope some.....

Mitch
I don't think I do this enough...I'm going to start doing it more Straight line and slow seems fine to me!

Haha, but yes back to the original question...check the fuses that are related to your 4WD system. You can find which ones are related in your manual. That can help as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Post is a little old but I shift mine into HI every one in awhile when driving straight. I just think its a good idea to move the fluid and parts around every one in awhile.

Quick Reply: Won't shift to 4x4 mode - In dash switch