F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   torque converter locking and unlocking on highway (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/391839-torque-converter-locking-unlocking-highway.html)

SIK-06 09-29-2009 01:38 PM

torque converter locking and unlocking on highway

When im on the interstate going to work doing 65 and let off the gas to 45-50 then accelerate slowly it starts to stutter. Feels like it can make up its mind to lock and unlock. if i stomp on it it goes fine. only happens when i slowly accelerate. asked the local tranny shop and he said it the TC relearning its self. well its getting worse. it gets really bad afterwork on the way home when it hot outside. anything i can do? any advise please!

scruffy 09-29-2009 03:57 PM

Sounds like TC shudder to me. When was the last time you changed the fluid? Old fluid can cause the shudder because its lost its friction modifiers.

Could also be the solenoid that controls TC lock/unlock. That solenoid is an easy fix too, its right under the pan on the valve body.

I would guess its either one of those, but if its not then your TC is prob on it's way out.

- Scruffy

SIK-06 09-29-2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by scruffy (Post 3904811)
Sounds like TC shudder to me. When was the last time you changed the fluid? Old fluid can cause the shudder because its lost its friction modifiers.

Could also be the solenoid that controls TC lock/unlock. That solenoid is an easy fix too, its right under the pan on the valve body.

I would guess its either one of those, but if its not then your TC is prob on it's way out.

- Scruffy

I did the fluid about 10k miles ago. can you tell me more about the solenoid?

scruffy 09-29-2009 05:16 PM

The solenoid is called the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid. It's there to lock and unlock the TC. Like I said if this is your prob, its right on the valve body when u take off the pan. So its easy enough to swap out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/2/...valve_body.jpg

The TCC is the dark round object above the pink paint. When you take off the pan its easy enough to locate really.

I would take it to another tranny shop for more opinions though, instead of just throwing parts at it. Maybe they can confirm what problem you're having through tranny codes. Swapping the TCC is easy enough, but you would need a new one and new fluid.

- Erik

SIK-06 09-29-2009 05:18 PM

ok cool. Thanks alot man! :beers:

Silver FX4 09-29-2009 06:31 PM

Wait. My truck had a similiar problem with my gryphon was a simple fix for Bill call him he will fix you up.

Silver FX4 09-29-2009 06:31 PM

Wait. My truck had a similiar problem with my gryphon was a simple fix for Bill call him he will fix you up.

scruffy 09-29-2009 07:11 PM

Yeah. It could be something in the programming as well. The solenoid controlling the TC unlocks is controlled by the PCM. So it makes sense it could be a problem with your gryphon.

You should look into that first.

glc 09-29-2009 07:54 PM

It could also be a low grade misfire - how many miles on the spark plugs and cops? Do you wash your engine?

Loweman 165 09-30-2009 10:01 AM

x2 on the possible misfire. The situation you discribed sounds just about right for the early stages of a bad coil.

SIK-06 09-30-2009 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silver FX4 (Post 3904983)

Will do! i was thinking maybe i could be something with that but why all of a sudden? i've had it for awhile now. i call him though.

SIK-06 09-30-2009 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 3905065)
It could also be a low grade misfire - how many miles on the spark plugs and cops? Do you wash your engine?

I took it to the ford dealership and they said they checked everything. couldnt find anything wrong. I questions the sparks and he said they're good. i had them keep it an extra day and they still couldnt find anything wrong. she has 73k on her and no i dont wash the engine. maybe once.

glc 09-30-2009 12:53 PM

73k on the original plugs is right around when you may start having low grade misfire issues.

Loweman 165 09-30-2009 01:59 PM

Right around 80k is when my coils weakened enough to missfire around 50mph on a slow acceleration. After a while, engine would miss on accel. until it warmed up, but did it around 45-55 all the time.

Silver FX4 09-30-2009 06:09 PM

I would return your truck to stock and try again. If it is gone it is related to the gryphon. Has happened to a few trucks.

SIK-06 10-01-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver FX4 (Post 3906279)
I would return your truck to stock and try again. If it is gone it is related to the gryphon. Has happened to a few trucks.

I did that and its still there. I returned it to stock and removed from my truck and drove it for a day and still doin it. Damn it!

scruffy 10-02-2009 09:00 PM

Well, it's def either a low grade misfire or something in the tranny then.

Are you sure the dealer checked the plugs? Do you have a 4.6 or a 5.4? Cause I mean honestly if its a 5.4 3v I doubt they would risk it lol... aren't those the ones breaking in half all the time?

Other than a misfire, the only other things that I can think of being wrong are either the TCC solenoid like in my original post or the actual Torque Converter.

- Erik

SIK-06 10-03-2009 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by scruffy (Post 3909290)
Well, it's def either a low grade misfire or something in the tranny then.

Are you sure the dealer checked the plugs? Do you have a 4.6 or a 5.4? Cause I mean honestly if its a 5.4 3v I doubt they would risk it lol... aren't those the ones breaking in half all the time?

Other than a misfire, the only other things that I can think of being wrong are either the TCC solenoid like in my original post or the actual Torque Converter.

- Erik

I specifically asked about the plugs and they said they were fine. It the 5.4L.
Im gonna take it back to the tranny shop and have them drive it.

Thanks man!

F150Adam 11-08-2009 07:22 PM

Hey SIK-06, did you resolve this issue yet? My 05 FX4 is doing very similar at slow acceleration dropping from 2nd to 3rd at slow speeds and before dropping alot of money into rebuilt trans Advance Auto tech told me to start with replacing this solenoid controlling torque converter by getting part from Ford. Just wondered if this fixed your problem as of yet. Thanks.

parl15 12-01-2009 10:43 AM

I am having the same issue. We had a new engine dropped into the truck in April 2009 in May it started this shuddering. It was only occasionally and it has been getting worse. Our mechanic told us it was the torque converter.

QUESTION: We have purchased the torque converter and now we are going to replace it...what tools do we need to complete the job?

SIK-06 12-14-2009 11:06 AM

My local tranny guy said it the TC relearing its self. It happens because the engine is creating too much power for the tranny to shift so its basically like the tc acting like a governer to slow the motor down so it can shift. it makes sense but doesnt seem normal to me. i did notice when i change my program level it does it alot at first then stops, so the relearing its self makes sense.

But yes mine is still doin it here and there.

02f150sport 12-30-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SIK-06 (Post 3999064)
My local tranny guy said it the TC relearing its self. It happens because the engine is creating too much power for the tranny to shift so its basically like the tc acting like a governer to slow the motor down so it can shift. it makes sense but doesnt seem normal to me. i did notice when i change my program level it does it alot at first then stops, so the relearing its self makes sense.

But yes mine is still doin it here and there.

This honestly doesnt make sense to me. I am having this exact issue with my truck. My truck is bone STOCK. Mind you i have an 02 5.4 2v. To me it also feels like the torque converter cant figure out if it needs to be in lock up or not. It only happens when its in OD Under ligtht throttle. If u nail it the transmission will shift into 3rd just fine. Please someone help us out here! I dont have the money to throw at a shop to look at this. I am competent enough to do the work myself just dont wanna keep throwing parts at it.

parl15 01-13-2010 01:52 PM

Update: We haven't replaced the TC yet. We did change the transmission fluid and filter. It did not help at all...The problem is still there. It is gradually getting worse.

Sometimes when we are driving to get on the highway and the person in front slows down really quickly and we go to swerve around them and basically hit the gas to speed up and get up to the speed of the highway the whole truck stutters..and then the check engine light starts to flash and then it is almost like the transmission is groggy...then once you let off the gas and slow down youll feel it kick and then the check engine light goes off and everything is back to normal.

glc 01-13-2010 02:48 PM

Plugs and/or cops, not tranny. A flashing CEL is random misfire. Check for codes.

6868vfco 01-13-2010 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4041086)
Plugs and/or cops, not tranny. A flashing CEL is random misfire. Check for codes.

I agree Misfire concern with the flashing MIL, also do a trans Flush not just a drain and fill. It is possible the TC solnoid could be bad but also the Torque Converter check ball in the valve body could be bad they wear on one side, causing problems at different times. Ask the dealer or shop to check MODE 6 DATA It will show the misfires before the codes are set if they happend.

SIK-06 05-20-2010 01:05 PM

Anyone ever figure this out? my truck is really starting to do it alot worse!

SIK-06 05-20-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by scruffy (Post 3904898)
The solenoid is called the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid. It's there to lock and unlock the TC. Like I said if this is your prob, its right on the valve body when u take off the pan. So its easy enough to swap out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/data/2/...valve_body.jpg

The TCC is the dark round object above the pink paint. When you take off the pan its easy enough to locate really.

I would take it to another tranny shop for more opinions though, instead of just throwing parts at it. Maybe they can confirm what problem you're having through tranny codes. Swapping the TCC is easy enough, but you would need a new one and new fluid.

- Erik

i've just done a complete tranny fluid change (pan and TC) and its better but still there. should i do this next???

boberto503 05-20-2010 09:52 PM

I've had the same problem. I'm not too educated in the tranny category thoguh so I'm not sure why I'm typing on here haha. But I have an edge evo on my '05. My truck did cause a cyl 5 missfire, according to the edge. My engine light came on and my O/D Off light came on. this has happened twice. My chip also diagnosed 2 codes:P0740 and P0743. According to "Jack&Janet" on here, those refer to the torque converter electrical and the torque converter clutch. His thinking is that there is something electrically wrong with the electrical which would be a "control" problem. Short circuit or something like that. He also said that the Cyl 5 missfire should have nothing to do with the torque converter, that is more towards my lean running engine cuz its an '05 and I have a CAI with the edge on it causing it to run lean. I just saw yall mentioning the missfire so thought I'd mention that. IDK if this helps yall out any. I'm just basically saying what he said. I'm plannin on getting it fixed soon, and if I get it fixed and it's ok afterwards, i'll tell you what the problem was.

boberto503 05-20-2010 09:53 PM

I think thats the longest reply I've posted onhere haha

SIK-06 05-20-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by boberto503 (Post 4222746)
I've had the same problem. I'm not too educated in the tranny category thoguh so I'm not sure why I'm typing on here haha. But I have an edge evo on my '05. My truck did cause a cyl 5 missfire, according to the edge. My engine light came on and my O/D Off light came on. this has happened twice. My chip also diagnosed 2 codes:P0740 and P0743. According to "Jack&Janet" on here, those refer to the torque converter electrical and the torque converter clutch. His thinking is that there is something electrically wrong with the electrical which would be a "control" problem. Short circuit or something like that. He also said that the Cyl 5 missfire should have nothing to do with the torque converter, that is more towards my lean running engine cuz its an '05 and I have a CAI with the edge on it causing it to run lean. I just saw yall mentioning the missfire so thought I'd mention that. IDK if this helps yall out any. I'm just basically saying what he said. I'm plannin on getting it fixed soon, and if I get it fixed and it's ok afterwards, i'll tell you what the problem was.

Thanks for the info. The misfire doesnt have anything to do with the TC but rather the sympoms of the "shudder." Did you get the misfire taken care of? I just ran another Diagnostics with the edge/gryphon and it states NO problem codes.

boberto503 05-24-2010 10:40 PM

I have ran my truck like this for at least 2 months now, and it does seem to be getting better with the tc, however, it's still not all there. I have yet to get anything fixed at the shop but when I do I will let you know. It's taking me a while to get it fixed cuz its my only source of transportation. Oh, and I believe you have to have at least 3 misfires for the CEL to show, but idk. I will let ya know if I get anymore info on this problem

SIK-06 05-25-2010 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by boberto503 (Post 4226773)
I have ran my truck like this for at least 2 months now, and it does seem to be getting better with the tc, however, it's still not all there. I have yet to get anything fixed at the shop but when I do I will let you know. It's taking me a while to get it fixed cuz its my only source of transportation. Oh, and I believe you have to have at least 3 misfires for the CEL to show, but idk. I will let ya know if I get anymore info on this problem

I took my truck in yesterday and they found #4 misfire. They performed a maintenance tune up, Replace plugs and coils and the problem is GONE! :rocker:

boberto503 06-06-2010 10:19 PM

Awesome, even with the TC? How much did it cost if you dont mind me asking

glc 06-07-2010 01:56 AM

Plugs and coils at the dealer is a small fortune. I'm guessing close to $1000.

cuffee 04-09-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 3905065)

I spray my engine with water to get the dust / crap off when I wash my truck.

Thanks,
Donald

glc 04-09-2014 01:24 PM

Not a good idea.

skkzh_g 11-24-2015 09:13 PM

02 SCAB 4.6 4x4, Same Problem

Started about 8-10 months ago... Shuddering when TC unlocking when accelerating at 40-50 mph (low RPM's < 1800-1900). Trans fluid was dark, but did not smell burned. Had fluid changed and friction modifier added. Shifted PERFECT!

Now 8 months and about 8000 miles later, it has restarted its shuddering. Same symptoms. Fluid is dark again.

No CEL. I've had a COP go bad and this doesn't feel the same. 91K miles on the truck. Original plugs and coils.

Trans shop wants approx. $1850 to rebuild, includes a new TC.
The mechanic that changed the fluid / filter recommends getting a reman. trans from Ford with 10 yr. / 100K warranty. Its approx. $2450 plus $500 to swap out.

HELP! Any ideas. Rebuild or reman. tranny from Ford?

Thanks!

glc 11-24-2015 09:58 PM

Reman from Ford with the warranty if you plan on keeping the truck.

tcp2 11-25-2015 04:49 PM

@skkzh_g: if you have 91k miles on original plugs and coils, chances are you have having a lot more misfire problems. A LOT of posters here have thought it was a transmission problem and 99% of the problems are plugs or coils. Before digging into the transmission, replace the plugs and boots, coils if necessary. Statistically you are far, far more likely to fix the problem than your transmission. Of course your tranny shop wants to replace the transmission.

skkzh_g 11-25-2015 10:23 PM

Plugs, boots , and COPS?

It could be a misfire but I have not seen any evidence in a CEL. Plus fluid in tranny is dark again.

I know it is due for plugs and boots. Should I change the coils if there isn't a CEL or rough idle? I had a coil go bad before and this shudder isn't comparable.