Wire in transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire in transfer case

Swapped out the extension housing today. Pretty straight forward, but there is one wire that runs through the housing and into the transfer case. My manual doesn't mention it at all, so I have no idea what it's connected to. For now it's cut and hanging there waiting for me to splice it back together.

Any one know what this wire is for? Could I have just tugged it out of the transfer case and plugged it back in?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Its not the wire for your that engages your 4 wheel drive is it?

Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I have to admit... I have no idea. 4x4 light came on, but I didn't verify if it actually engaged. 4R70W tranny, manual lever to engage 4x4 ( but I'm not sure how it engages at the transfer case...).

Single wire. There's a hole in the extension housing that it goes through. It branches off of the wire bundle that connects to the speed sensor. It disappears into the transfer case. Looks like rtv was used to seal it in where it disappears.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That wire will be the power to engage the electromagnetic clutch. Your manual should have instructed you to remove it from the connector. Using a jeweler's screwdriver to unpin it, it will then slide through the extension housing. You will set a code if you do not reconnect it. It will also make shifting on the fly difficult.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Well... my manual proves to be crap once again!

Thanks. It didn't end up throwing a code on me, but I did notice that 4x didn't want to disengage when I was messing around trying to figure what that wire was for. Wish I had thought of just pulling the pin from the connector... I'd rather of done that than cutting and butt connecting back together like I did. Live and learn...

Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
aye. chiltons/haynes is crap anymore

Quick Reply: Wire in transfer case