torque converter gone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter gone?

hello,

I have been on here a while, but just decided to join up today. I have a 1995 F-150 5.0L. My question is:
I have had a funny ticking noise going on for a while now. The noise is coming from the bellhousing/engine oil pan area and is quite loud. Hard to tell cause it reverberates everywhere under there. Almost sounds like a bad rod bearing, but it only happens about 5 mins after starting the truck. Thought it was a loose bolt on the flywheel/converter hitting something but its not. Anyhow today on my way home from work weird things started happening. When im driving the engine almost feels like its in neutral and rev up really easy and not accelerate. Then it will catch and the rpms will drop. It did this like every 2-3 seconds. rpms went up down up down really quickly. It did that for about 1 mile. then when I accelerate from a stop the rpms will go really high like 2500rpm and the truck will slowly start to go. while driving i let off the gas then hit it again and it wont accelerate, but if i keep my foot on the gas it will slowly catch. While it catches the whole truck shakes like crazy, like something is not balaced properly. Im thinking that whatever was ticking has finally let go, and it was something in the torque converter. sorry for the long story but i hope it helps.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright well im almost done pulling the tranny. I've got a spare torque converter that im going to put on. Any tips on what I should be looking for. I am quite mechanically enclined, millwright/apprentice electrician. Oh yeah i started it up this morning once again and it would barely move forward or reverse. The whole tranny was shaking/vibrating. So im still thinking its the torque converter. maybe something broke off inside causing the ticking/shaking.

Quick Reply: torque converter gone?