New - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New - need advice

Hello, I just am needing some advice. I have my 97 F150 MSOF in the shop for (it turns out) LOTS of issues. To top it all off, I asked them to diagnosis why the 4X4 only engages sometimes and other times takes 1/2 mile or more to engage. They forgot to check, so I just took it back and they are telling me it is the Electric clutch relay and the GEM and it will be another $700 for parts and labor on that. I am looking through the forums and it sounds like people are changing out GEMs like candy so is $700 reasonable or am I getting the (pardon) shaft here?

Thanks,
Alaska Girl who needs 4X4 to go get firewood yesterday!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ask them how much a GEM module, a relay and 1 hour labour costs and that should be your price. FWIW the GEM controls the relay that sends current to the Electromagnetic clutch. The Clutch is energized and spins the front driveshaft up to speed so that the shift on the fly is a smooth shift and not a clunk. You should be able to shift into 4H from a stop and drive away in 4x4. If that doesn't happen something else is wrong.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GEM was $580 and it was making an awful clunk when it would shift into 4X4. They also changed the relay and now it all works and I have 3 loads of 6 foot sections of beetle kill firewood in the yard.

Thanks for the advice, and thank God for 4X4. No matter what it cost, wood is cheaper than natural gas heating, for now...

Quick Reply: New - need advice