Universal Joint

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Joint

I want to change my universal joint, but I don't know how. Is it hard? Are there some simple instructions anyone can give me? I know where it is and what it is...I just want to know how to go about changing it! Thanks!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Ive never changed them in this truck (f150) but ive done 4 or 5 camaros, dodge ram, s-10, and a ranger. I think that it is an easy task, it helps a lot if you have an extra pair of hands, a vise or C-clamp or a press, and a stall. Ive done it on the ground with only a hammer and it was a pain in the butt.

Pretty much, unbolt the U joint from the front of the axle, slide it aft and then you will be holding your driveshaft. Take the clips off, press them out (a small socket works great), install new ones.

Follow this link, theres a few good tips in here about how to do it
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44847

Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
heres a really good one also, what year is your truck?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...al-joints.html

Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
That 2nd write up is a good one - just so long as you don't live in an area that uses salt on the roads! Same basic procedure - except you need to substitute "tap it out with a punch" with "beat the everloving bejesus out of it with a BFH". Seriously, I've got a 20 ton press that wouldnt budge these things! After that - it's a cake walk. Just take some time and patience (if you don't have your aggresion out by now there's something wrong) cleaning up and deburring the yolk/driveshaft, and the install is pretty easy. All that's left is to enjoy the ride! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Universal Joint