Accident - Trans damage??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident - Trans damage??

Hi guys, my 01 Supercrew was hit from behind on the drivers rear corner whilst stationary and in Park. Impact shunted the truck forward about a foot. Is there any possibility of damage to the trans? Have driven it a few miles and all seems ok but don't want to find out in 500 miles time the tranny is screwed after the insurance has already paid out.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
only way the tranny could have gotten hurt is if he hit the rear end and pushed the drive shaft up into the tranny. so i would say no. if he hit that rearend i would have it checked out though. had a friend got hit in the rear tire and messed up the axle from the impact. wasnt all that hard either

Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your fine.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Collisions are interesting. When you take about 5,000 pounds, and propel it at high speeds into another object of similar weight and traveling at similar speeds, there is no telling what may break. I know a guy who wrecked his car. The body shop does all the body work & light mechanical. What they missed was the slight damage to the transmission lines. Months go by. The insurance case is settled. Body shop is paid. My buddy is happily driving his refurbished vehicle. The transmission fluid has finally leaked enough out through the damaged line. His transmission goes out. As far as the insurance company is concerned, they've done their part. They paid whatever the repair bills were months ago, and they are not willing to pay for a transmission that fails months after the collision. Who is responsible? Insurance? The body shop for missing the damage during the initial inspection and estimate?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't dodge a dodge

July 2007 I got rear ended. I was at a stop light and an elderly man hit me going 45mph in a brand new Hemi Ram Quad Cab. He said his boot got stuck under the gas pedal........Even worse, he just got the truck out of the shop from getting t-boned by a lady three weeks prior to that.
I was sand-whiched between him and the 4 runner in front of me. The four runner made out fine as he had a rear mounted spare that kept my truck from totaling his back end.
My bumper was crushed into the front tires and my rear bumper was 90 degrees under the tuck. Not to mention my tailgate was hosed. I was surprised that the truck did so well. The frame was perfect and I have had no issues since. The truck drives perfect! The Ram was pretty fubar'd as well. They really mean Ford Tough!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I guess I should be ok really, I was it by a Rover 600 (I'm in the UK!) which is what you'd class a compact. It actually rolled away, we tried to stop it but it had gathered a bit of momentum so impact speed was probably (only) 20mph. The Rover is history, visible damage to truck is rear light lens and a 2 inch crack in the panel below the lens which I didn't realise was fiberglass. It is supposed to be fibreglass isn't it??

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I run over imports all the time when trying to squeeze into parking spaces. Sometimes I park with my raised rear bumper hanging over the hood of a lowered import. They end up under me.

Quick Reply: Accident - Trans damage??