I just did a fluid exchange

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile I just did a fluid exchange

Well I just had a fluid exhange done on my 2005 Ford F150, (not a flush) and it took 15quarts to clean it out. I went with Mobil 1 ATF. The truck had 32k miles on it so was a little overdue. By the way Autozone sells it for $6.89 per quart and since my son in laws brother owns a speedee lube he did it for me for $20 .

Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Hope you got your money's worth!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lenore
Well I just had a fluid exhange done on my 2005 Ford F150, (not a flush) and it took 15quarts to clean it out. I went with Mobil 1 ATF. The truck had 32k miles on it so was a little overdue. By the way Autozone sells it for $6.89 per quart and since my son in laws brother owns a speedee lube he did it for me for $20 .

How did you do a full fluid exchange without flushing it? How exactly did you do it?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Set the machine to do an exchange using the tranny pump, not the machine pump.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glc,
I don't quite understand it either, unless the word "flush" is used sometimes when "fluid exchange" is meant and vice versa. My local Ford shop uses BG flush system and I was told by the tech that it operates using the trannys pump. The truck is running while the machine is doing it's thing. The pressure and direction of the flow isn't different than when the tranny normally operates. They can use BG chemicals and the only one that I've heard can cause a problem(seals to leak) is the BG softshift conditioner. The BG quick clean, my tech explained, will not harm the tranny. To be safe though, the "flush/exhange" can be done without the use of either chemical. I personally, used the quick clean b/c my first change at 30k, I didn't drop the pan and change the filter. Plan to do this before the 60k change.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM
glc
I interpret "flush" as using chemicals. I don't like that.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
How did you do a full fluid exchange without flushing it? How exactly did you do it?
Well since I helped my son-in-laws brother we unhooked the upper line going into the radiator and put the machine in series with the disconnected fittings. then the truck pump while in park basically for about 15 minutes exhanged the fluid from the tranny to the machine while we poured fluid in to the exit connection on the machine. Then we just watched the color of the fluid as well as the input pressure and exit pressure.... The truck pump did it all.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Great deal on that fluid exchange! Using all Mobil 1 ATF you could easily go 50-60K in between services if you like. Any difference in shift quality?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Steelers
Great deal on that fluid exchange! Using all Mobil 1 ATF you could easily go 50-60K in between services if you like. Any difference in shift quality?
You know, I cant feel any difference....Was hoping though. the truck only has 32k on it.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by glc
I interpret "flush" as using chemicals. I don't like that.

Here's lies the confusion of a "flush", too many definitions. I've searched high and low for a "fluid exchanger". Everybody I talk to including dealerships and privately owned tranny shops say, "Oh, you mean a tranny fluid flush". Chemicals or no chemicals, they still call it a flush machine b/c it takes out the old and puts in new, I guess like flushing a toilet, old water for new(sorta speak). I'm like you, I don't know about the chemicals either. I have a friend that's worked for years with Ford and he swears by the BG quick clean and says he hasn't ever seen a problem with it or even heard of a problem with it's use. On the other hand, the BG conditioner with it staying in the tranny fluid, he said it softens and swells the seals and with trannys that have older seals that have hardened b/c of heat/time, the seals can crack and leak. Personally, I don't plan to use either chemical on this next change b/c I'm changing the filter before the flush/exchange. These two chemicals are offered and are optional. I can save around 30-40 bucks by leaving them off. Sorry to be so longwinded.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
glc
A properly maintained transmission should not need chemicals. If the fluid gets nasty enough to where someone says you need chemicals, the damage is already done. That's my opinion. If you buy a used high mileage truck and the fluid is nasty, start budgeting for a rebuild.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
A properly maintained transmission should not need chemicals. If the fluid gets nasty enough to where someone says you need chemicals, the damage is already done. That's my opinion. If you buy a used high mileage truck and the fluid is nasty, start budgeting for a rebuild.
X2!.......

Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by lenore
You know, I cant feel any difference....Was hoping though. the truck only has 32k on it.
That's not always a bad thing. I've used Amsoil, Mobil1 and Motorcraft ATFs and never felt any difference in shift quality either.

Quick Reply: I just did a fluid exchange