How to purposefully ruin an automatic tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to purposefully ruin an automatic tranny?

delete

Last edited by bamorris2; 01-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I probably won't even share this info with him.

I find that untrue, since your asking the question anyways

Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by alomar
I find that untrue, since your asking the question anyways
Yeah, I know... I may, I may not... Mainly asking for my personal curiosity, but may share it with him.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Strange...I just did a Google search for this, and I can't find anything! Do people just not do this kind of thing?

Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Thumbs down

Abuse it all you want, But any trans guy can tell if it was abused or not, I know I could . But if the dealer can't replicate, take it to another one, ask for the latest calibrations, have the trans flushed. There are lots of options, trust me if the truck comes in on the hook and the trans is bad, the dealer will look right for signs of abuse, rubber in the fender wells, glazed clutches, lack of maintenance, etc. Don't tear out a good trans because the owner can't read his manual and do the reccommended preventitve maintenance.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Abuse it all you want, But any trans guy can tell if it was abused or not, I know I could . But if the dealer can't replicate, take it to another one, ask for the latest calibrations, have the trans flushed. There are lots of options, trust me if the truck comes in on the hook and the trans is bad, the dealer will look right for signs of abuse, rubber in the fender wells, glazed clutches, lack of maintenance, etc. Don't tear out a good trans because the owner can't read his manual and do the reccommended preventitve maintenance.
Ok, so what is the internal difference (what a tech can see) between a trans that goes out due to manufacturer defect, and one that goes out due to abuse?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Ok, so what is the internal difference (what a tech can see) between a trans that goes out due to manufacturer defect, and one that goes out due to abuse?
Clutch wear patterns, steel wear patterns, o-ring conditions, fluid conditions, torque converter inspection, Clutch pack clearances, endplay, pump inspection, planetary inspection, and the list keeps going. With 36,000 miles, most defects would have been evident by now. 30,000 is the reccommended flush, did he do that? If proper maintenance can't be showed, then Ford will void your warranty. But, if he decides to grenade his trans, and wants to take it in, the Freeze Frame(snap shot) the pcm took when the trans had problems, will show what was going on at the time of the failure. He can burn it up, just be prepared to pay the $2000+ bill when they deny his warranty due to neglect and misuse.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Sounds similar to what my '05 used to do... drove me nuts until they performed a TSB replacing one of the ball valves in the valve train... and reflashed the PCM. Have him ask the dealer to perform any needed TSBs.
Anthony

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
ok if you want to DESTROY a tranny go about 15-20 MPH in reveser and throw it into drive and floor it!!! or have it in netrual rev the truck up to 4,000-5,000 RPM and throw it into drive without letting off the pedal....to this about 5 times and your tranny should go BOOOM!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Bingo, tranny people know what's what. The dealer may be jack of all trades but they should have a scan tool that pretty much diagnoses anything a tranny could do, pressures, electric this and that etc.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will that 20 mph reverse and then slamming it into gear thing work?? doesnt the computer have things built in to prevent that?? kind of like the starter lockout feature??

Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah I agree keith, I was with my buddy in his car (96 Chevy lumina) and he accidently knocked it into reverse going about 40 down the road and all it did was kill the engine, we coasted to a stop beside the road, he put it in Park and restarted and drove away. No harm done at all. He thought sure as heck the tranny would have been laying in the road!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Most modern vehicles have a safety lockout so you cant shift into reverse while going forward and vice versa. Myth Busters did this a few seasons ago. They did it with a auto and a stick. They were trying to make the car stop by doing this.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
The easiest way to kill a Ford transmission is to hook up a heavy trailer and do a lot of stop and go driving or drive over hills with the transmission in second gear. If you manually shift the transmission into 2nd gear the transmission will not use 1st gear which will burn up a tranny if you are towing.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
there are plenty of ways neutral drops are one but would be to obvious

put a vice grip on the rubber trans cooler line and drain about 1/2 the fluid and do some sprinted driving and or heavy towing then when it goes out remove the vise grip and fill the trans full again but use the used fluid that you drained so to not look like you just added new stuff that might do the trick

Quick Reply: How to purposefully ruin an automatic tranny?