Axel change question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axel change question.

I just put 20" tires and wheels on the FX4. Would it bennifit me to go from 3.73l to a 4.10 or bigger? If so where do I go to get that done? Also any idea on cost?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
What size tires are you runing ?

You would benefit slightly from doing this. You would get some "off the line oomph" back. Maybe even gain a little bit more.

Worth it ? Depending on what set-up your running, I don't know if I would consider it worth it. On a 4x4, the cost will be around $1500 or so. Maybe wait til you have larger tires, then run soime 4:56's.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
What size tires are you runing ?

You would benefit slightly from doing this. You would get some "off the line oomph" back. Maybe even gain a little bit more.

Worth it ? Depending on what set-up your running, I don't know if I would consider it worth it. On a 4x4, the cost will be around $1500 or so. Maybe wait til you have larger tires, then run soime 4:56's.
I'm running 285/50/20's. I do a ton of street driving so I opted for the wide unidirection performance tires. It just feels like I'm not getting a "hole shot".

Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Gotcha. Well with that set-up you would probably benefit from the 4:10 swap. That would also keep your MPG's reasonable for street use.

Do you plan on going with bigger tires ? Lifts ? Anything like that ? Or is this a "street queen" ? (nothing wrong with it, just trying to see whatcha you want out of it)

Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Gotcha. Well with that set-up you would probably benefit from the 4:10 swap. That would also keep your MPG's reasonable for street use.

Do you plan on going with bigger tires ? Lifts ? Anything like that ? Or is this a "street queen" ? (nothing wrong with it, just trying to see whatcha you want out of it)
I guess if you have to call it a street queen ok, i don't plan on a lift(have a 2.5" level already) maybe bigger tires at some point. I got the 4X4 for boat ramps and hunting camp roads. I have got almost enough cash stashed away for a Rouch supercharger so maybe I will need a different axel ratio if that mod comes to fruition.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
sorry man, mean no offense by the term "street queen". Just means she aint going to be getting too dirty Got absolutely no problem with it.

Alright, so I still think the 4:10's would be your best bet, but I would do some more searching on this site, maybe even make another posts. There are guys on here with some real "know how" with these Fords.

And a Rousch Supercharger ? ? ?

so what kinda boat ya got ?

Quick Reply: Axel change question.